Monday, May 19, 2008

Why Be Normal?

Hi All!

I have finally gotten another episode of my podcast online! Check it out at the top of this page or go to Learning to Live With SD.

This episode is about coming to terms with my SD voice as being my "normal" voice. I never wanted to be normal - that would be boring. I spent the majority of my life trying to be totally different from everyone else. Why, I am thinking, should my voice issues be any different? I like my SD voice - it is unique. If I talked "normally" I wouldn't stand out in the crowd.

True, I hate my voice at times (like this morning when I didn't want to talk at all!) but, over all, I am getting used to it. It is becoming "normal."

Then again - why be "normal?"

Trisha

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I wish I could feel okay with my voice... at least sometimes. But, I never do. I hate it. A lot of times I will not be thinking about it but... all it takes is to go out and about and talk to someone and the comments start. It always deflates me to have people exclaim, "Oh! You sound awwwwwwwful!" Yeah... uh.. total aware... thanks for pointing that out because I wouldn't have known it otherwise!

I'm grumpy today.

Anonymous said...

I have a t-shirt with "why be normal" on the back. This could be a logo for our SD world. Great job!

Trisha said...

Coffee Bean-

My speech therapist has some really great advice for dealing with people who are basically ignorant about things and say ignorant things. She says to react to these people by saying things like "Nothing is wrong with my voice - why do you say that?" This works best for people you don't know who are rude enough to comment.

For those who know you be honest - tell them that while your voice isn't like it used to be, it is what it is and you would appreciate it if they would stop making you feel worse by mentioning it.

I have had several opportunities to face people making comments head-on and it really empowered me. It isn't anyone's business how my voice is but mine and they have NO RIGHT to say things to make me feel bad.

After all- would they say something like that about my hair or my makeup? Probably not.

Sometimes people are so stupid!

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for your sweet words of encouragement on my blog this morning. I've got another rough day ahead. Anyway, I really appreciate it. I hope you have a great day.