Thursday, May 8, 2008

Shopping Carts

Hi All!

Hubby and I made a Wal Mart run yesterday. This is one of Hubby's favorite things - NOT! Anyway - we needed toilet paper and some foodstuff that is cheaper at Wal Mart than at the grocery store so - off we went!

After dodging all of the people who were coming out as we were going in, Hubby grabbed a cart that had thoughtfully been set out by the greeter. We headed deeper into the store and then we heard it. A horrible, metallic clicking-clunking noise. We looked at each other in confusion. What in the world was that?

Then we looked down at the cart. The right back wheel was wobbling precariously on its plastic hub. As we pushed, it would make this horrible sound about every 30 to 60 seconds. Great! We had gotten a bum shopping cart! It seems like it always happens. We never go back and switch it out (okay - I did once when one wheel refused to turn at all which made navigating corners impossible but I was alone at the time) we just grin and bear it. Why do we do that? It is uncomfortable walking through the store with your cart making hideous noises and attracting attention.

I know why we kept the cart yesterday. We wanted to see how far through the store we could actually get before the wheel dropped off entirely. Sadly, after going up and down every good aisle and the cat food aisle and traversing the vast space between the two sections, the wheel held up. True, it continued it embarrassingly loud screeches and wobbled promisingly but - it never fell off. Surprisingly it even quit making the sound for a bit when we hit the outside concrete.

I wanted to put the cart out of its misery but dear Hubby couldn't deprive some other couple of the enjoyment and suspense of wondering just how long the wheel would last so he put it back with its friends in the cart return.

I wish it luck!

Trisha

P.S. Did I tell you that we got ANOTHER phone book two days ago?

Voice Update: Better than yesterday. Pretty strong but I am not pushing it to see how loud I can talk. I am trying to be a good girl and back off to let my voice work without too much stress. I did my massage yesterday but haven't yet today. I don't like the "crunchy" noises my throat makes as I massage. I know it is good for me so I normally just work my way past the noise but, honestly! I don't think a part of my body should make that noise. Okay, okay - I will massage right now!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Years ago, when the kids were small and we didn't get to go on dates very ofte, we got a babysitter and my husband said we could do whatever I wanted (thinking dessert or a movie or something along those lines). We went to Wal-Mart. He's never forgiven me.

Trisha said...

That gave me quite a chuckle! It can be romantic - they have movies playing on the display tvs and popcorn and blankets to snuggle under. You just have to watch out for the security guards!

Anonymous said...

My hubby and I love to go to Wal-Mart. Actually it's pretty entertaining to watch all the people. We live about 1.5 miles away from ours, so if we lack something to do, Wal-Mart is pretty darn close.

Last weekend for Cinco de Mayo, there were dancers in beautiful dresses, music; lots of entertainment.