Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Rainy Tuesday Musings

Hi All!

Well, I survived the drive into downtown Dallas yesterday with no problems other than a little rain on the way there (which made my neighbor a bit more anxious than normal).

Today is a wonderful rainy day in Dallas. I am one of those weird people who love rain. I blame my mother! Apparently, she didn't want me to be afraid of storms so she would take me out to our porch to watch storms. I grew to love it - the whipping winds, the smell of the rain, the thunder, the flashes of lightning. There is nothing I like better than watching a storm roll through. Of course I do draw the line at the tornado bearing storms. During those I am watching the news or listening to the radio to see if I need to duck into our closet with the kitties to stay safe!

Anyway - it rained for a nice long time this morning and I got to watch. Now it is over so I am on the computer getting everything updated.

This afternoon is the last part of my ASL final and it will be interesting. Our teacher won't be there - she will be out of town - and the head of the department will be giving us our test. That makes me a little nervous because part of the test is writing down what the teacher signs. As each person signs a bit differently having a new person sign to us might be confusing. We are all used to our teacher! Of well - I guess it will just be a new part of the ASL adventure!

Recently, the National Spasmodic Dysphonia Association published a new book - Easier Done Than Said: Living with a Broken Voice by Karen Adler Feeley. I have just started reading the book and the first part explains the mechanics of speaking and how SD affects this. Very interesting. If anyone out there is interested, you can order the book through the NSDA's website - http://dysphonia.org/

Voice Update: Okay - I will admit that yesterday I should have used my microphone when I was out to lunch with my neighbor. The restaurant was pretty loud and I KNOW I was pushing to be heard. Not too smart! Today I am paying the price. My voice is not very strong today and a lot more whispery than normal lately. I will definitely take my microphone to lunch today with my friend! I did actually start the massage again and did it yesterday and this morning (yeah!). I am also still doing the reading out loud - much to the dismay of Hubby when I read while he is watching tv! The inhalation is still something I tend to do in the shower. The kitties like to sit just outside the glass shower and watch as I do my inhalation exercises. I wonder if it is something to do with the weird sound!

Have a fabulous day! And Flea - I like visiting your site! I hope your bovine buddies are home soon!

Trisha

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I so appriciate that you provide a daily voice update. It helps me keep in check with my massage, reading out loud and focus on my speech therapy tips of 2 years ago. The AD/SD battle is so constant; some days my voice is strong, other days it is pathetic. You are a true encouragement to me. Thanks so much.
ecolo

Trisha said...

ecolo-

Thank you for your comment. I am glad that I can encourage you and help you remember to do that all important massage and those exercises! Posting an update helps me remember to do them myself!

I agree that the whole SD thing is a constant but I am beginning to think of it as more of a dance than a battle. I know that I will never defeat SD (short of a cure being found) but, I am certain that I can dance with it!

I keep moving towards acceptance!

Anonymous said...

I love rain too. I'm glad y'all had a good trip into the big city!

I will have to get that book. Be sure to tell us what you thought of it when you are done.

Anonymous said...

Speaking of books - have you read the book by Connie Pike - "Free to Speak: Overcoming Spasmodic Dysphonia"? I want to start some of the exercises/techniques she talks about in the appendix. Also the Mike White "Optimal Breathing" website is quite good. Connie & Mike offer a speech clinic for SD in Florida 3-4 times a year. Have you attended one of her clinics or know of anyone who has?

Trisha - I have a brother who lives in Dallas and is a flight attendant w/American Airlines. If I ever get down your way I will try to look you up. I would love to talk with you in person. I live in Colorado. Coffee Bean and I live not too far from each other and one day we may be able to get together as well.

Have a great day.

ecolo

Trisha said...

Ecolo-

No - I haven't read the books by Connie Pike or Mike White. I am in correspondence with Connie though. She sounds like she has an interesting program. I don't know too much about it and do plan on buying her book when I get to it! I don't know anyone who has attended one of her workshops. If you attend, keep me posted on how it goes.

I would love to meet you in person when you are down in my neck of the woods! It would be super to meet one of my internet friends! I might have to plan a trip to Colorado to meet you and Coffee Bean. Wouldn't that be fun?

Anonymous said...

Yes - it would be fun to meet sometime. Below are the websites for Connie and Mike, if you are interested. I find their approach interesting.

I was diagnosed in Feb 2006 with AD/SD. I have been reluctant to use botox and so far I have no regrets. After hearing about the results of a lot of people, I don't feel botox is the answer. I would prefer to use an alternative method, provided it works.

Currently I'm reading the Mindbody Prescription by John Sarno. I truly feel there is a mind-body connection of some sort - the more I resist and fight the fact that I have SD, my voice seems to be really bad. When I "accept" and go with the flow, my voice seems better. Finding ways to be in "acceptance mode" is somewhat challenging. But I'm working on it!

http://www.freetospeakvoicetherapy.com/index.html

and

http://www.breathing.com/

I took the breathing test and did very poorly. I do find that when I breathe abdominally, my voice is stronger. I'm working hard to be more consistent with the abdominal breathing.

Great to talk w/you.
ecolo

Anonymous said...

Oh, one other question.

Have you noticed that your voice gets work if you exercise vigorously? Also, does weather affect your voice in different ways?

This morning it was cloudy and sprinkling a few raindrops and I was out walking. My husband called while I was walking and told me someone was on their way to our house to look at our hardwood floors. So I started running for about a mile after I had walked about 3 miles. After I got home, my voice was a wreck - I had to talk in a high pitched voice as my normal voice was so blotchy! Maybe my vocal cords stressed because I had a time restraint and my body wasn't used to running!

The good news - I made it home in time! AND I should be able to eat what I want tonight!!!

ecolo

Anonymous said...

Hey Trisha I like you haircut! Makes you look younger - that is good. Supper was wonderful. Aunt Donna cooked it of course. It's raining here - not much just a little. Have a good day.
Love, Mom and Donna

Trisha said...

Ecolo-

I haven't really noticed if my voice is worse after I exercise - of course I don't run a mile - ever! I do walk three miles or so a day and don't seem to have too much problem with my voice. However, when I get anxious or nervous about something (like getting home in time to meet the worker guy?) I tend to tighten up in my neck and shoulders. This does make it more difficult for me to talk.

The whole breathing thing is a key, I think. When I first started with my Speech Therapist, my breathing was all messed up. I did all kinds of exercises to breathe correctly. It does make it easier if you breathe correctly.

Thanks for the website info - I will have to check that out!