Friday, April 2, 2010

He's Back!



If you would like to learn more about Spasmodic Dysphonia (or maybe would like to make a charitable donation!) please go to The National Spasmodic Dysphonia Association.

Hi All!

Well, he's back!







Yes, it is Mr. Timer!
hjkl

Oh, how I have missed him. NOT!
ghk

For those of you who may not remember Mr. Timer, here is his story.
ghk

When I was still really struggling with my voice I was rather . . . intent (okay, obsessive) about my vocal exercises. Susan, my speech therapist, told me to them three or four times a day but that doing them more would only help. Enter Mr. Timer.
ghj

I decided that I would need something to remind me to do my exercises and I dug Mr. Timer out of my school stuff.
fgjh
I set this "friend" for an hour and then went about my daily routine. Every time the timer went off, I stopped whatever I was doing and did my exercises. Then I reset the timer and continued doing whatever I was doing.
ghkl

Every day, all day long I carried Mr. Timer around with me listening for that beep which meant that I needed to do my exercises. Every day. All the time. Imagine how "fun" that soon became!
dfgh
However, I persisted and did this for well over a year as my voice gradually progressed.
xfgh
When Susan finally told me that I could cut back on my exercises, Mr. Timer went into semi-retirement. I was still doing oral reading and so he helped me make sure I did the correct amount of reading each day.
fgjh

Soon, I decided that Mr. Timer could totally retire. He was shoved into a drawer where I pretty much ignored him until his battery ran down and he "freaked out." Instead of taking Mr. time out of the drawer, replacing the battery and then using him, I yanked the battery out and shoved him back in the drawer.
fgjk

He is such a tangible reminder of the "bad times" I have had with my voice.
fgk

Now it is time to bring out Mr. Timer and dust him off (and give him a fresh battery) so that he can help me with my exercises as I strive to fend off the vocal decline which appears to think it will take over.
ghjk

Mr. Timer. I have such a love/hate relationship with him.
ghkl

Trisha
ghkl

Voice Update: With the help of Mr. Timer, I read out loud for at least an hour and a half. I also managed to talk to the cats and myself for a long time as I puttered around the house. When Hubby came home we went walking and I talked most of that time too. This isn't to say that I didn't have my times of silence - I did. I took a nap and then read silently after Mr. Timer said I had read for an hour. Hubby said my voice seemed to be better! Yeah! It must work!

2 comments:

Elizabeth said...

Well, ......if he helps you!
Repetitive excercise is dull but maybe worth it!
Buster sends an Easter lick in your direction!

Chris H said...

If Mr Timer works.. then use him! He may be a pain in the butt... but if it keeps your voice strong... then so be it!