Wednesday, August 27, 2008

The Saga Continues and Sign Language

Hi All!

Well, remember how yesterday I told you that the cable and computer and everything was up and running fine? Well . . . there has been a complication.

After posting yesterday (and finishing my conversation with Mom via IM) I went grocery shopping - which should be illegal when it is over 90 degrees because it is just ridiculous! Anyway - I was on the phone with Mom (yes, I am a Momma's girl, I admit it!) and I remembered that I was supposed to set up the DVR to record Big Brother 10. Out to the living room I trotted and I took the remote and pressed "power."

Nothing happened.

I pushed the little button again. Zilch. Thinking I must have done something wrong, I very carefully pushed the little ATT button and then power once more. Still nada! Hmmmmm. I went to the DVR and manually pushed the power button once. I think you might have a good idea what happened. That is right - nothing!

One the front of the box it tells you to push and hold the power button for five seconds to reset the box. Super! I push and hold the button. It begins blinking away and the little "working" screen shows up on the tv. Great! I am cooking with gas now!

Knowing it will take a while, I go to check that the computer is working because they are all tied together, you know. The computer works fine. I skim a few new emails - still talking to Mom on the phone - we have marathon conversations (thank goodness for unlimited long distance!). Then I got off the phone and decided to review some sign language for my class which began last night.

The DVR had frozen so I decided to try to restart it again. After a while I had to admit that NOTHING was happening. I unplugged the darn thing. I know that is how you reset most electronics these days. Wait a minute or two or three then plug the box back in - nothing.

I decided to leave the "mess" for Hubby and reviewed my info for class and then high-tailed it out of there to class. Later I learned that Hubby was on the phone with the support people for over 45 minutes and they decided - at the end - that we needed a new box. Apparently, they have been having problems with the DVR boxes lately. Hmmmmmm.

So - I get to deal with another cable guy. Fun, fun!

I was going to tell you about my sign language class but it looks like I have rambled on a lot already so I think I will save that for another day - perhaps tomorrow. I will tell you that it was good and I think it will be a lot of fun.


Voice Update: My friend Ryan, whom I met in ASL I in the Spring, is in this class also and he told me that my voice was a LOT better than it was! YEAH! I have speech today and I am sure I will get in trouble because I haven't been too good about massage lately. Oops!


noble pig said...

I'm glad your voice is improving, Yeah!

Mental P Mama said...

I'm not going to remind you how we had ATT for a while. And how now we don't. Well, maybe I am. I honestly think this is too new for them. We rarely had tv service with them. And when we did, it was horribly pixilated and frozen. I am so glad your voice is doing better! That is great news!

KitchenKiki said...

I'm glad your voice is getting stronger. Sometimes it is hard to see progress in ourselves until it is pointed out by someone else.