Wednesday, August 13, 2008

An Ode to the Lonely Tomato

There you are in all your isolated glory.
Alone where it was once crowded.
Budding, growing,
Swelling with life.
First a tiny green ball
Then tinged with orange.
Finally you are reaching
The red of your destiny.

Even while all around you
Finished their journey
And left.
Even while the lush greenery
Turned crisp and brown
In the hot, hot sun.
You persisted.

Is it hard to be the last?
To know that there will be no more?
Do you remember the ones who
Went before you into
The great unknown beyond the door?

Are you lonely?
Do you worry about what will come?
Or are you thankful
That at last your time
In the heat and sun
Is almost over?

I wish you luck in your journey.
I admire your tenacity,
Your struggle to survive.
Your wonderful redness
Your fresh taste on my salad.

Trisha

Voice Update: Well, I finally did some warm ups before walking. Not as much as I should have - of course. It seemed to help out. I still had more "breaks" than I do later in the day. I did realize that it is probably also due, in part, to the fact that I am talking to two people who are usually behind me and when we are surrounded by street noise. Hmmmmm.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh. This made me laugh. What a perfect little tomato. Have you eaten it yet?

Anonymous said...

He does look like a happy tomato!

Trisha said...

Yes, I have eaten the poor little tomato. He gave his life to enrich my salad last night and, I must say, he was delicious!

Yolanda said...

What is absd? I am a nurse and have never heard of this disorder so i would love to learn.

Anonymous said...

Ha! Poor baby, last but not forgotten!

Anonymous said...

Our tomato plants are about to explode with all thier goodness! I can't wait.

Mental P Mama said...

Alas, poor tomato. I knew him well...