Monday, August 18, 2008

Airports and Traffic

Hi All!

I am a bit late today because I had to take Hubby to the airport. He is jetting off to Lubbock, Texas on his way to Roswell, New Mexico for work. Doesn't that sound fabulous? I must admit that I thought Roswell sounded neat until Hubby told me that it wasn't all that exciting (sorry about that to anyone who lives in Roswell - maybe you can prove Hubby wrong!).

While

(Sorry - I had to take a break to answer the phone and now I have lost my train of thought. I will tell you about my phone call while I recover my thoughts.

A lovely woman was on the phone telling me that she is going to attend a support group meeting this Saturday which my friend Lori and I are arranging - if you are in the Dallas area and want more information, let me know. This woman has had SD since 1996 and was never diagnosed until 2007. She still doesn't know what SD is and hasn't been directed towards any support groups or information. She lives alone and told me that she has really struggled with depression about her voice for the past eleven or so years.

I am so glad that she is finally getting to our support group so that we can give her more information and help her with emotional support as well. It is so sad that people out there are still having problems getting diagnosed and when they are diagnosed are not also given information about support from the National Spasmodic Dysphonia Association.

This woman also told me that she had faced a lot of rude people because of her voice. People who made fun of her voice and who made her want to just stay in her house. People who treated her like she was intellectually challenged simply because of her voice.

We need to end this kind of ignorance people! If you don't know about SD, please explore the National Spasmodic Dysphonia Association's site to find out more. If you see people treating others ignorantly because of their voice - step in!

Okay - minor rant over! Back to the regularly scheduled blog.)

As I was saying - while taking Hubby to the airport I was amazed by the amount of traffic on the tollway. We were on the road at about 7:30 and I assume most people start work around 8:30 or 9:00 or so. If that is so then why in the world were they out on the roads so early! They were just clogging up the road for me - the person who had to get to the airport!

The road on the way back was much clearer - I guess going OUT of the city is easier at that time of the day.

Okay - my mind is not going back to the original topic so I am going to end it. I am sure you are all breathing a big sigh of relief!

Trisha

Voice Update: My voice is good today. I am going to start my voice exercises right now. Okay - when I am done talking on the phone with my mom I will start!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Trisha, though you are the first person I have ever "met" with SD, I just can't stand the thought of people being so cruel to others because of their voice quality. (or any other challenge for that matter!)

Thank you for educating us and making a positive difference for this new friend of yours and many others. I know your support group will make an impact on her life!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for making us all aware!

Mental P Mama said...

Good for you and this group. Doctors don't often point patients to support groups when there is so much help there. And I love your traffic rant. Don't these people understand that we need to get places???

Woman in a Window said...

Rant on.

And this woman being an adult? I'm incredulous that people would make fun of her. You expect that kind of behaviour from kids, and then you correct it. But adults? Crazy!