Monday, March 9, 2009

Some Updates

Hi All!

Do you remember me tell you about the crack in our foundation and trying to get the warranty company to cover the repair? Well, that didn't work out, of course! We had a foundation company come out last Friday (while I was getting ready for DI - good planning, Hubby!) to evaluate things and tell us what was going on. It seems our house isn't too bad - yet. The front corner near the laundry room has gone down 8/10 of an inch. That is what caused the kitchen tile to crack.

The solution? Get helical piers installed to support the front of the house so it doesn't continue to sink and make things worse (think more cracks in the floor, cracks in the drywall, doors that don't work, etc.). We haven't signed a contract yet but I am pretty sure it is just a matter of time.

There are a few good things about the foundation repair. First, they won't have to dig up my floors - all work will be done from the outside. Second, it will only take a day for the repairs to be made. Third, it comes with a lifetime, transferable warranty (of course we saw how well the warranty on the foundation worked out for us!). Fourth, in the course of the digging, we just might lose some of our "ugly" bushes out front. In fact, we are thinking this is a good excuse to just tear out all the landscaping in the front and replace it with smaller and fewer shrubs. I am excited.

The bad things? Well, they won't fix our floors so we will still need to do that on our own. We will have to actually get to work on the front landscaping instead of simply putting it off indefinitely. Finally - it is going to cost money!

What else to tell you about - oh, the front door handle which wasn't latching because it kept getting stuck. A little WD 40 and the thing is serviceable again! Yeah! We will need to replace it eventually but . . . we have other things going on right now!

Hmmm. Oh - did I mention that my car was scraped at the DI tournament? It is only the bumper and not too much damage. However, Hubby's car also has a scratch on it - in the driver's door. He isn't too happy about that!

Last, but by no means least (because there will always be SOMETHING going wrong in our lives), all of my DI stuff which had taken over the living room and the guest room - it is all packed up and stowed away neatly. Now I only need to transfer it to the person who will be taking over for next year!

That is about it for today! Now that DI is over I will get back to reading blogs again. Fun!

Trisha

Voice Update: My voice is rocking! Of course, after the weekend I don't want to talk - AGAIN! But - that is just part of the "game" these days, I guess! I am getting on track with my exercises and massage again now that I am not so stressed!

4 comments:

Chris H said...

I hope the repair job doesn't cost too much... and repairing the floors, doing the landscaping etc etc... it never stops does it? Touch ONE thing and it snowballs into a huge cost! grrrrrr.

Mental P Mama said...

I am so happy about the foundation!

Anonymous said...

Don't get me started about how they won't pay...I WOULD MAKE THEM.

Anonymous said...

I'm amazed that you have a warranty that will NOT cover your foundation. I'm with Noble Pig. I think they could be compelled to honor their warranty... although apparently they would prefer not to!