Friday, March 27, 2009

Old Pictures

Hi All!

Even though it is a bit "geeky," I have to admit that I adore history! Ancient history, modern history. Whatever. If it is history, I can't get enough! One of my all-time favorite kinds of history is family history.

Knowing what my relatives were like "way back when" is fascinating to me. I can spend hours imagining what life was like for my relatives; the hardships and joys they faced, how they dealt with new technology, what they would think of the world we live in today.

Part of my fascination with history is a love of old pictures. Pictures of my relatives hold a particular fascination for me but, any old picture will draw my interest. They always seem to have a story to tell and I wish I knew what it was!

Here are some pictures from my family.

My Grandma Frank had four children - all boys! Here are the oldest three: (from left to right) my Uncle Bob, my dad, my Uncle Ken. Just look at their faces. Can you imagine what it was like for my grandma to deal with these little rapscallions? I know these people all grown up - and they are pretty quirky - imagining them as little kids just tickles me.
This picture - as far as anyone can tell me - includes my great-grandfather. Where he might be in this picture is a mystery but I still love the picture.

Here are my great-grandparents, my grandma's parents. My great-grandfather was an officer in the army drafted for the Spanish-American War. Don't they look fun? Those hats!
There are a lot of old pictures in my grandmother's house which I hope to inherit some day. Is that weird? Wanting to inherit old pictures? They just make me feel connected to something bigger than myself - history.
Trisha
Voice Update: Still doing really well. Massage, massage, massage!

2 comments:

Mental P Mama said...

I could look at old family photos for ages. They all look so happy and carefree...

Chris H said...

My Mum has boxes full of old photos... and hundred of us kids when were were growing up... I can't wait to get my hands on them one day too!
I love looking back at old family photos! I don't know why!