Thursday, March 12, 2009

Let Me Explain

Hi All!

Yes, I have a fascination with rain. For as long as I can remember I have loved rain. The sound of it pattering on the roof. The smell of freshness rain brings. The sight of rain dripping from leaves and railings. The feel of raindrops on my face as I look up to try to see it fall. Some of my best sleeping has been done to the muted accompaniment of raindrops on the roof.

Never have I been in a mood bad enough to resist the wonder of rain. It activates something peaceful and wonderful in my soul. It calms me.

My love of rain has always been with me but there was one period of time in my life during which it was reinforced many times. It was during the time that my parents lived in Saudi Arabia and I lived in their house.

My parents have always had wanderlust and after my dad retired it was the perfect time to do something about it. They took jobs at a school in Jeddah, Saudi Arabia and from there traveled all over the world. For most of the year I was living far from my parents and at least an hour and a half away from my closest relatives. It was a bit lonely.

Don't get me wrong, living on my own was super at that time in my life. I stayed in my parents' house and didn't have to pay rent as long as I managed their money while they were gone. Responsibility is something that I learned really quickly after they left!

Each summer my parents would come back for about 7 weeks and would then head back to Saudi. I always felt sad that they were going so far away again. During their visit I enjoyed talking to them and just having them around so it was difficult to watch them leave again. However, it never failed - when I would drop them off at the airport for their return trip, it would begin raining. My sadness seemed to vanish in the face of the rain.

It seemed like God was sending me a message that it would all be fine. I would pause for a moment and just soak in the beauty of the rain - no pun intended! My sadness would lessen and the joy and wonder of the rain would begin to work its magic on my soul. Soon I would feel better.

How can you not love rain when it carries that kind of a message?

Trisha

Voice Update: Still doing well. I am massaging my little heart out here!

3 comments:

Mental P Mama said...

I will never look at a rainy day the same....Thank you.

Chris H said...

It is sweet that rain has such a lovely 'meaning' for you! Have a wonderful weekend... oops forgot we are a day ahead of you... I am looking forward to a lovely weekend starting tomorrow!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing that. Lovely.