Thursday, March 19, 2009

Oh My, Opossum!

Hi All!

This morning is beautiful in North Texas! It is cool - on the way to about 80 or so - and slightly windy. The birds were out and, thankfully, the sun rose just a bit earlier than it did last week.

I was bopping along listening to my podcasts and scoping out the landscaping trying to think of what I would like my front landscaping to look like if/when we ever rip everything out and replant.

Suddenly, I saw movement between two houses. By the time I had tracked it, the movement had entered a flowerbed. I stopped and peered into the shrubs. Then, I saw this . . .

Well, almost! This is an Internet picture and what I saw didn't include the humans. A white face with little black ears and a small black nose peered back at me from the shrubs. It was an opossum!

Now, I have seen plenty of these animals . . . on the side of the road as roadkill. Never had I seen one this close and this alive! The animal peered at me and stayed motionless for a long time (probably really about a minute). Then, it turned in a tight circle and retraced its steps across the lawn between the houses and disappeared into the dense shrubs of the other house.

Cool!

While I know that opossums are not the nicest, fuzziest, friendliest, or sweetest smelling of all animals, it was still neat to see one that close - it was only about 8 feet away from where I stood staring at it!

Let me tell you - seeing one alive is much preferable to seeing one along the side of the road!

Trisha

Voice: Well, I had speech yesterday and I got all fixed up. My voice was good but had started missing a bit - especially when I got to my appointment! Isn't that always the way? My throat was a bit tight which I knew - thanks to that lovely "gunk" I had been coughing up and the sneezing that went with it. Susan got me all loosened up and speaking smoothly again. It is amazing what that woman can do with her massage that I can't do at home!

6 comments:

imbeingheldhostage said...

OOh, not sure if I would've been saying "cool". It's be a toss up between trying to get the perfect picture or running for my life ;-)

Mental P Mama said...

He is cute! I cannot wait for my own Connecticut Spring;)

Chris H said...

Over here those animals are a real pest... they spread TB to our cows etc....
When I was a young teenager my Dad used to take us kids possum hunting at night! They are easy prey cos when you shine a light on them they freeze! You can't miss with the gun when they just sit there!

Anonymous said...

They so freak me out! Ugh they are...yucky!

Anonymous said...

We have tons of possum here. I've had families running across my yard. While the babies are really cute, I am not a possum fan!

But that is cool to see one up close... especially since it hadn't met an untimely demise under a tire... Ugh!

Flea said...

Better a dead 'possum than a live one, I always say! Nasty creatures.