Sunday, March 8, 2009

I survived!

Hi All!

Well, Saturday is over and so is the Destination Imagination tournament. It was a LOOOOONG day but, I survived and actually had a little fun as well. The most fun was talking to the different teams as they registered for IC and then talking to some teams after they finished their challenge. I really enjoy kids.

Lugging all the materials upstairs was a bit of a trial but, luckily, there was an elevator and we were able to borrow a dolly! Score! Friday night, the night we got most stuff set up, I was very lucky to have some helpers. Hubby, another couple, and a young woman all helped get stuff in shape. It only took about 2 and a half hours!

Saturday morning started at 7:00 for me and, miracle of miracles, ALL of the appraisers showed up. Okay - one woman didn't come but her father was in the ICU and we expected her to be with him and not with us. She had an excellent reason and we all hope her father is doing better. Anyway, ALL of the appraisers showed up and, for the first time in the six years I have been doing this, I had more than enough appraisers in each room! It was quite a luxury for everyone involved. More appraisers means that the workload for each one is lower and that the stress levels are lower. Everyone seemed to have a wonderful time and no one told me to take their name off the list for next year!

The day ended at about 5:00. The last team finished up at about 4:30 and then we had to take everything down - including a LOT of signs and caution tape (used to ensure that people didn't enter our area accidentally which is vital due to the confidentiality of the problems). Also, it was back down the elevator with all the stuff and out to the car. Happily, the boxes (six of them plus a laundry basket full of "extra" supplies just in case, were pretty much empty as the supplies had been used. A much lighter load on the way home! Again, we were able to borrow a dolly and away we went.

Hubby and I got home around 5:45 and fed the two piglets . . . I mean kitties, got the mail, and hauled everything into the house and/or garage. We discovered that my car had gotten biffed by another car in the parking lot (no note, of course!) but it isn't too bad - just one corner of the bumper scraped and smeared with paint. Then - after a phone call from the tournament directors about a team manager who talked about the Instant Challenge her team did - we both fell into bed for a "nap."

My nap lasted until about 7:15 this morning (taking into account the time change which just HAD to be this weekend, didn't it???).

Still feeling the effects of the long day in stiff legs and hurting feet, Hubby and I are both up and planning to head to church. Maybe I can convince him to take me to IHOP on the way home. That would be a nice treat.

Oh - I went off my "resisting sweets" run yesterday but am back on today. I just couldn't make it through the day without a gooey brownie and a few M&Ms!

Trisha

Voice Update: Going strong. It did well yesterday and I think I gave it enough rest throughout the event to keep it from going out on me. I didn't do my massage - too busy - but it is back to business now!

2 comments:

Chris H said...

Ha ha, that was a very long 'nap'... you must have been very tired.

Anonymous said...

So glad that the event was stress free this year! Good for you for making all that happen!