Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Yesterday's Woes

Hi All!

You may have noticed that I didn't blog yesterday. Was I sick? Did I have a headache? Was I at the doctor's? Did Skor chew through the computer cables?

NO!

Blogger wouldn't let me make any changes to my blog yesterday. I could get onto my blog, sign in, and read your blogs but publish a new blog myself - no dice!

Needless to say, I was a bit frustrated by this lack of "cooperation" on Blogger's end of things. I had things I wanted to say!

GRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

*whew* Okay. Now I feel better.

As you may or may not know, I live in Northern Texas in the Dallas-Fort Worth Metroplex (That is really what it is called here!). Many people hear that and comment about the heat. Yes, it gets HOT here. The next thing people say is invariably, "But it is a dry heat, right?" Ha ha ha ha ha! Dry? I don't think so!

This morning, when I woke up and glanced at Hubby's weather station, it was 77 degrees with 81% humidity! 81%! That, my friends, is like walking into a sauna! True, sauna's are hotter than 77 degrees but . . . give it a few hours and we will be in near sauna temps here as well. Dry heat - no way! You walk out the door and are instantly sweaty. It is a lovely, lovely feeling!

It is a good thing that I wear my swimsuit when I head out for my morning walk these days because I end up drenched even before I get into the pool!

Bunnies run around our neighborhood like little little hairballs. Normally, they are cute. They eat the weeds that grow in our grass and we thank them for that. They give Skor some good entertainment when he gets a look at them hopping in the yard. Good all around, right?

Wrong!

The bunnies have an interesting homing device which allows them to home into my Cone Flowers! These poor things haven't much of a chance with those bunnies nibbling on them! I have tried different deterrents with varying levels of success. First I tried sprinkling the plants with hot pepper powder. That foiled the bunnies until they apparently developed a taste for spicy foods. I tried garlic powder. Again - it worked for a while until the bunnies decided they liked the spiced leaves. I tried spraying the plants with soapy water and the bunnies didn't like that too well until they figured out to "snip" off the leaves and dunk them into the bird bath to rinse them off. Really!

Well - I finally went to the Depot and got some fencing. After it hung out in the garage for a month or so I actually got it out yesterday and fashioned a fence around the Cone Flowers. We will see if the Bunnies figure a way around this too! Keep your fingers crossed!

Hubby was anxious the entire time I was working with the fencing. He was certain that I would kill myself on the wiring. Well, I finished the entire thing without even a scratch!

Then, in the evening, I was trying to clip a matt from Skor (who doesn't really matt except for under his "arms.") when I managed to slice my right index finger on the scissors! Now, how in the world did I manage THAT? I didn't even know I had done it until I looked and blood was dripping off my finger.

I showed Hubby and he just rolled his eyes and left the room (after bringing me a tissue). Wasn't that sweet??

Hopefully today will be better! I am going shopping for groceries - one of my favorite things in the entire world! (NOT!)- and then doing some work on some ASL stuff.

Tomorrow I have speech (I thought it had been rescheduled for yesterday but apparently, I was mistaken!) and then I will swing by the ASL lab for a bit to work on some skills I need to "brush up" on.

Here is hoping your yesterday, today, and tomorrow are wonderful!

Trisha

Voice Update: Well, I am through the Chronicles and Ezra and on to Nehemiah. More names. *sigh* My voice sounds pretty good even though my neck is a bit "crunchy" and I am sure Susan won't be too happy about that. I will tell you more about things are going after my appointment tomorrow!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

1) One of these days, you and I need to go to the lab on the same day.

2) If you're looking for a way to spice up your grocery routine, go shopping at whole foods. I went there for the first time the other day, and I felt like a kid in a candy store. (More like a kid in a bean sprout store, I guess? Basically, it was fun, and you should try it.)

Diane said...

I don't do well in the humidity. The one time I was in DFW it was 90 degrees and misting, so I get that you have humidity!
I hope you've outwitted the bunnies!
I can relate to the finger cut. I did mine making a potato salad. No one brought me a tissue though. You're a lucky lady!

Chris H said...

We get high humidity too here.
I bet those bunny's get into your flowers by digging under the fencing!
Ouch about the finger.