Thursday, September 24, 2009

Class Dynamics

Hi All!

Whenever you get a group of people together, it is always interesting to see how the group dynamics work. Usually one person - or maybe a small core of people, depending on the size of the class - emerges as the " leader." Others show their "flare" for following. And then there is that one person (again - maybe more if the group is bigger) who just naturally gravitates to the bottom of the pile.

In addition, you can have the clown of the group, the mother of the group, and ,many other roles.

Sometimes it takes a person's absence from the group to reveal his/her true role in the group dynamic.

Last night, I discovered the role of Frack in our class dynamic. He was absent from class last night and, let me tell you, it made quite a difference! Last night we actually learned things! We worked our way through the written material pretty steadily with the occasional divergence into clarifying conversations and discussions. Amazing! I actually left class feeling like I had accomplished something instead of like I was ready to kill someone!

Frick even fell in line. She was much less distracted and much more focused. Yes, she did wander off into her own personal "la-la land" once or twice but . . . much better than when Frack is in class.

Interesting, don't you think? Now I am just trying to figure out what Frack's specific role in the class dynamic is . . . distraction?

Trisha

Voice Update: Okay - no more dilly-dallying! I am stepping up my vocal exercises. No more putting it off. Every single time I am in the car I do those darn exercises before listening to anything on the radio. At every red light I massage. I will whip this voice into better shape. I will!

4 comments:

Diane said...

I love your analysis! So true!
I hope your voice improves! Keep up the exercises!

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh, this made me laugh. Seems you are learning more than what they are teaching in class. Consider it a two fer. LOL!

Mental P Mama said...

Frack must go!

Chris H said...

You are right about people falling into 'roles' within a group. Sadly... I'm the mouth... who usually knows as much if not more than the Leader! I have to learn to shut up.