Monday, July 13, 2009

Oh, You Pretty Chitty Chiity Bang Bang!

Hi All!

This post is a little late - considering that we actually went to see this musical more than a week ago - but . . . better late than never, right?

On July 4th, Hubby and I went to see Chitty Chitty Bang Bang.

Now, I guess I should be totally honest and tell you that, due to my not looking closely at the tickets, Hubby and I arrived at the theater 30 minutes late. You see, the musical started an hour before the "normal" starting time. Hubby and I were at the theater in plenty of time for the "normal" starting time. However, we were LATE for the early starting time!

Being late meant that we missed the first five songs in the first act. Hubby was happy - he isn't too much of a musical kind of guy. I was bummed.

Anyway, we went in during the applause from a song, sat down and enjoyed the rest of the first act. While we were watching, we noticed that there were numerous people doing the exact same thing we did. So we weren't the only people who didn't look at the tickets!

The musical. I enjoyed the musical. It stayed pretty true to the movie version - which I absolutely adore. The actors did a nice job of both acting and singing even though the man who played Caractacus Potts could have done a bit better in the dancing area for my taste. The scene where he was the rag doll playing against Truly Scrumptious's music box girl just didn't have the same effect as the wonderful job Dick Van Dyke did in the movie version.

The music was fast paced and catchy. I found myself singing several of the songs over the past week, much to Hubby's annoyance! The scenery was well done and that villain, The Child Catcher, was masterfully villainous. In fact, several of the small children in the audience began crying when he appeared. I think that is a sign of realistic villainy!

The car. Oh, the car! Even being fully cognizant of the fact that at some point this car was going to fly, I was amazed when it actually did. It was amazing! I didn't see any wires or pedestals. How was this thing flying? And it flew around the stage pretty darn well! You saw all sides of the car - even the back - and it flew high and low and from side to side. What a mystery. It was great! No matter how many times I looked at the flying car through my binoculars I just couldn't figure out the secret. Impressive.

If you are a fan of the movie, or even if you aren't but just like fun, family-friendly musicals, this one is fun to see.

Trisha

Voice Update: I still don't feel like talking too much - not that that stops me, of course! I have been massaging around a really sore spot in my neck. I hope it goes away soon! I also have been "e-ing" my way through showers and walks. Voice exercises are such fun!

3 comments:

Flea said...

I absolutely adore the movie, but it's been years. What FUN for you! I'm jealous. And now I'll be singing the theme song all day. :)

Mental P Mama said...

I loved that movie when I was a child;)

Anonymous said...

Isn't it wonderful when a show lives up to your expectations? Hubs and I don't really do musicals but we love a good comedy show or concert.

Glad you had fun!