Saturday, July 26, 2008

I Can Do It!

Hi All!

Well, yesterday I went in to my speech therapist's office - not for another speech session but to help her out while her secretary is out. I worked for about five hours and did all kinds of things.

I worked on the computer. I filed stuff. I got things ready to mail. I got a deposit together to put in the bank. I figured out how to print stuff on letterhead without having it print upside down or run into the letterhead. I even mastered the copy machine - sort of.

I had fun.

The thing that I am most proud of, however, was that I actually called all of my therapist's patients to remind them of their appointment on Monday. Okay - not ALL of the patients - just the ones coming in on Monday. Anyway. The point is - I CALLED the patients. On the PHONE. And they understood me and everything!

Sure, that might not seem like a big thing but, if you have been reading my blog for a while, you know that I have SD. You might also know that talking on the phone is a BIG, HUGE, HONKING DEAL for people with SD. It just isn't fun and usually provokes terror. Okay - maybe it provokes anxiety.

I have posted before about my amplified phone and how it helped me get up the nerve to talk on the phone again. Well, the phone I used in my therapist's office was NOT amplified. Despite some twinges of anxiety in the bottom of my stomach, I picked up that phone and made those calls.

I am proud of myself and have proved to myself that I can do it!

Trisha

Voice Update: Well, I talked a lot yesterday while working and so my voice is a bit tired today but it is still amazingly good. I am still on track with my exercises and massage (even though I will admit that at the moment I am working timer free). The exercises to help with the unvoiced consonants really seem to be working. Either that or I am convincing myself that they are working!

5 comments:

MUD said...

Con Grats Babe! Hope you can continue to improve until you can not just talk but sing your heart out. Having a purpose and a goal works wonders. MUD

Anonymous said...

Good for you! That's so wonderful!

Flea said...

Hoorah! And congratulations!!!

Woman in a Window said...

Wow, good on you! Just to try something when you're afraid, especially when you have to really on the patience of others perhaps, is really, really, big! Great, just great!
erin

Anonymous said...

Way to go - so proud of you. You are my inspiration!