Wednesday, April 1, 2009

What To Do? What To Do?

Hi All!

In the insanity that is my mind, much has been happening lately. As you know, I am preparing to go to the NSDA National Symposium this weekend and this means getting a presentation about podcasting ready to go. Also, I am in the midst of project central for my ASL classes. One project is pretty much complete - that is the Americans with Disabilities presentation. Another project . . . well, let's just say that it is moving a bit lethargically.

What might that project be, you ask? Well, it is taking a book and converting it into an ASL play. This task has many inherent problems since there are four people working together to complete the task. First, all four people must agree upon a book to convert. Next, the four people must read the book so that they know what it is about. Then, the four people must meet and hash out a script for the play. Finally, the four people must meet and rehearse the play prior to presenting it in class.

Doesn't that sound like fun? At least we have agreed upon a book - Agatha Christie's The Murder of Roger Ackroyd. I am positive that it will make for an interesting play once we get to that point. Currently, I am only on the third chapter. Oh well - it will make good airplane reading!

Anyway - back to the mess that is my brain. One thing that has been floating around in there for quite a while is the need to figure out just what in the world I will be doing with the rest of my life.

In case you don't know, or have forgotten, I used to teach elementary school. My "dream job," which I spent five and a half years doing, was teaching fifth graders in a magnet program for highly gifted students. I loved that job. Unfortunately, I was required to quit teaching because of the onset of Abductor Spasmodic Dysphonia. After all, it is tough to teach when you have no voice!

I really enjoy teaching - all levels and all ages. It really feels right to me when I am teaching someone something. I am good at teaching and have a gift to help people learn so . . . I would like to continue teaching.

However, my voice is pretty "fragile" and really can't handle talking all day long - which is something that is required when teaching. Also, listening to my friends who are still teaching . . . the paperwork and the "baloney" which teachers must endure is becoming ever greater each year. I could really do without all of that hassle!

Add to the fray the fact that I am taking American Sign Language and really, really enjoy it. In my brain all of this is mixing and mixing . . . and mixing. Maybe I could teach Deaf children? I could also continue classes and become an ASL interpreter but . . . that isn't where my heart is leading.

The only thing about becoming a teacher of the Deaf is that it would require that I get ANOTHER Master's degree. My mind rebels quite loudly at the thought of spending more time in classrooms learning more stuff (which I probably already know anyway) and spending more money which I am not earning.

When I think about it . . . a sense of dread looms up from my toes and overtakes my chest making it slightly difficult to breath freely.

What to do? What to do?

Trisha

Voice Update: Speech today! I am sure that Susan will work ALL of the crunch out of my throat as she prepares me for my presentation on Friday. Doesn't that sound like fun? I wonder how long my neck will be sore!

3 comments:

Mental P Mama said...

My SIL taught at The New York School for the Deaf, and she always says that was her favorite...you never know where your path will take you. Enjoy!

Anonymous said...

I so know your dilemma!!! I follow what you are doing with much interest. You are fortunate in that you finished college... ugh. I did not. I had three babies in 3 1/2 years instead...LOL!

I'm going to find sign language classes so that I can volunteer at a school for the deaf... and maybe I can use that at my church. I'm fortunate, as are you, that my husband is able to provide financially. You never know... because you already have a masters and have already been a teacher, you might find a way around that requirement. I'd start by volunteering.

I have a post up today about the Oprah show yesterday and dystonia... and another drawing for those that help spread the word. If you have time in the midst of all your preparations, check it out.

Flea said...

Sounds like you already know but are just afraid to move forward. There's online teaching, too, but I can't see you doing that. Not interpersonal enough. No face time.