Wednesday, April 8, 2009

More From the NSDA Symposium

Hi All!

Pictures! I have some pictures! These are from the NSDA Leadership Training on Friday and the Symposium of Saturday. By the way, does anyone know the difference between a Symposium and a Conference or Convention? If so, please let me know!

These are in reverse order because Blogger did it that way and I don't want to mess with it today . . .

First up, a view of the main conference room on Saturday. The woman in the center of the picture is a doctor/scientist. She is from the Ukraine and is an ENT who is now working on her PhD here in the United States. She spoke about the brain research in brains of people with SD. They are beginning to isolate areas of the brain which are more active in SD people than "regular" people. This could lead to something interesting!

Oh - the guy next to her is Tom - he has ABSD just like me. Nice guy!

Next up is Diane Rhem. If you don't know her, she has a regular program on NPR. She also has ADSD. Thanks to regular Botox shots (for which she will soon be flying to Oregon because her doctor is moving there!), Diane is able to continue her work on the radio. She is a lovely woman and a dynamic speaker.


Sorry the picture is a bit fuzzy! My camera and I were having a disagreement on Saturday!


Here is Dot Sowerby, an early member of the NSDA and past president. She wrote a very inspirational book called Speechless about her life with SD. She has ADSD and has had it from a young age. In this picture she is explaining that when people say things about her voice she whips out her NSDA tri-fold card (which has information about SD on it).

What a lady!


Here is a picture of Jim, Lori, and Nancy enjoying their breakfast before the leadership training began on Friday morning. I sat at this table during the training and had a good time getting to know everyone.

Oh - the woman whose back you see if Gwen. She did a presentation on webinars right before I spoke about podcasts. She was kind enough to say that I could borrow her computer to show my PowerPoint.


This picture shows more of the leadership training people. The woman on the left at the table closest to you in Concetta. She recognized me from my podcasts and made me feel special. She and her husband - sitting next to her - are such fabulous people!

The woman standing in the center of the room in the grey jacket is the Executive Director of the NSDA, Kim.


That is all of the pictures for now. I was impressed with the entire weekend and hope to meet all of my new friends again really soon!

Trisha

Voice Update: Slowly getting better. My neck is a bit sore from the overuse during the weekend but I am slowly working it out with the massage. I don't really want to talk too much though! I guess "this too shall pass," right?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow! It looks like you had a wonderful time. It must be very inspiring to meet people that perservere through the same issues you have!

Love the photos!

Chris H said...

You obviously had a wonderful time... that is great!