Sunday, April 19, 2009

I See The Look You Give Me - a Poem

I See the Look You Give Me

I see the look you give me
When you hear me talk,
But stop for just a minute
And consider the path that I must walk.

Our world is based on language,
A very noisy place,
My frail and broken SD voice
Really sets me back a pace.

I can not get a burger
At the local burger joint
Because it's only drive in . . .
For me there's just no point.

Telephones are evil things,
They just won't pick me up.
And other people who can't hear me,
Are annoyed and then hang up.

Automatic voice reactive menus
Make things easy for so many
But when I try to say an option,
I don't end up getting any.

Just stop a minute and imagine
If you couldn't use your normal voice
For you it would simply be an exercise,
For me, there is no other choice.

Learn some more about my voice
Before you scoff and scorn
Learn about what SD is
And how I've had to mourn.

This world has many obstacles
For any who are impaired
It isn't only those whose problems show
Whose world leaves them timid and scared.

Yes, I see the look that you give me
When you hear my SD voice
But instead of cowering, I will educate
Standing up for those without a choice.

Trisha

1 comment:

Mental P Mama said...

Brava! That is wonderful.