Sunday, April 27, 2008

The Wedding Singer, Weathermen, and Purses (again!)

Hi All!

Yesterday my husband and I headed off to see The Wedding Singer - a musical. Let me tell you that dear old Hubby was THRILLED! He just LOVES musicals and theater - NOT! But, he does go with me and I would like to believe that in this third (or is it fourth) year of going to musicals, he is beginning to soften. He does quote odd lines from the production hours after he has seen them. Of course they are usually the less "polite" lines and he normally says them out of the blue and then laughs at his own cleverness. I guess it is good that he is getting SOMETHING out of the experience.

The musical - I don't know if you have seen the movie - it is a fun little romp through memories of the 80's. It contains the classic boy meets girl, girl is engaged to other boy, girls falls in love with first boy despite the engagement, boy and girl's fiance have a fight, boy and girl get together and live happily ever after story line. This time all of this was accompanied by 80's style wardrobe, hairstyles (remember the mullet??) and music. Two of the songs from the original movie were in the show - both of which were written in part by Adam Sandler.

My opinion of the musical . . . it was okay. What high praise, huh? It was okay. It was amusing at times and entertaining at times but, overall, it just impressed me as - okay. I did buy a CD to add to my musical music collection (does that sound right?) because it is, after all, tradition and I have to build my music collection!

If The Wedding Singer shows up in your town and you are thinking about going, I say - Go for it! It isn't the best of all musicals but is an amusing way to spend a couple of hours - especially if you sit near the back and get to watch the choreographer in the sound booth "helping" the cast dance. That was Hubby's favorite part - seeing this man "dancing" in the back! My favorite part was moving away from the woman next to me wearing too much perfume! Which is a topic I will tackle at a different time.

Our day was very cloudy and overcast most of the day. This played right into the weathermen's prediction of "severe weather." We knew that the "severe weather" wasn't coming soon because we saw a blimp while we drove to the musical. It was at the Byron Nelson Golf Tournament and we knew that it would high tail it out of there at the first real threat of "severe weather." I mean, can you imagine being in a blimp in the middle of a big storm? Wouldn't that be "fun?"

So here was this cloudy day which was a bit chillier than normal (Thank God for cold fronts!). It was all leading to a validation for the weathermen's prediction of a bad storm in the evening. The, we got out of the musical a couple hours later and the skies were clearing and the sun was actually shining. The blimp was long gone but we couldn't be sure that it was due to upcoming weather. It might have just wandered off to view something else from thousands of feet in the air. Not looking too good for the weathermen! But - for some reason - I still had faith in those pretty colored computer simulations of the upcoming weather. I mean, who could just make up those masses of green, pink, and black?

We got home without a single sprinkle on the windshield but the storms were predicted for later in the evening. The NFL draft was on (oh LUCKY me!!!) so we watched that, then some Tivo'ed stuff. It was getting later and the skies were still not too cloudy or dark. Night fell without as much as a droplet of rain. Hmmmmm. Didn't the weathermen predict the storm would start just before sun down?

The family - ALL of us (me, Hubby, and the two cats) got into bed and drifted off. Some of us faster than others. Still no rain. At about midnight I woke up with a cat helpfully kneading my bladder (see what fun cats are?) and I heard the faint trickle of light rain. Oh boy - here it comes! I thought. I snuggled back into bed and waited. And waited. And waited. I know I dozed off several times in the midst of all this exciting waiting but, being a really light sleeper, and positive that I would have woken up had the "big storm" hit. Nothing.

When my alarm rang in the morning to remind me to get my medicine, I looked out the window. The patio was wet - barely. The rain gauge help a fraction of a fraction of an inch of water. Not too impressive. I went back to bed and when I woke up again several hours later there was almost a quarter of an inch of rain. Wow - the weathermen really predicted that one wrong! Can I ever trust them again?

On my way to the musical I changed purses! It only took me two tries to wedge everything in so that it fit without making the purse a cumbersome shape. I will admit to a bit of muttering under my breath and that Hubby kept assuring me that I would have to buy a bigger purse. I pointed out a HUGE purse that the lady next to us at the musical had (not the lady with the boatload of perfume - on the other side) and Hubby told me that all a big purse would do would be to encourage me to get more stuff. He said this despite the fact that I was carrying his candy (to be eaten during intermission as a treat for making it through that much of the musical) , the CD I had purchased, and the binoculars! All of this stuff crammed into my purse which seemed too small to handle my "regular" stuff! Interesting!

Trisha

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My house was all a twitter with the NFL draft (grooooan).

Your review of the musical cracked me up.