Tuesday, April 22, 2008

The Big 4-0 and Pumpkin Pie


Hi All!

Have you seen the show "The Big 4-0" which is a new reality series on TVland (I think that is the channel - Hubby changes the channels so often and so quickly that I can get confused!)? I haven't actually watched the show but have seen plenty of commercials advertising it as the next "big" reality series. The whole premise is that people who are turning 40 celebrate the birthday by doing something big, bold, and exciting. The commercials show people jumping out of planes (which seem to be perfectly good, by the way), throwing HUGE parties, bungee jumping . . . I think you get the picture.

Anyway - I am turning 39 in about a month or so and you all know what comes next - 40! One of my friends has already asked me what I am planning for my "big birthday." First of all, I hadn't thought of it being such a big deal until she asked me and then I saw those darn commercials. Next, I started thinking of what I would do - if people are celebrating on a reality show I guess I should do something to celebrate. Finally, I totally rejected all of those "daring" things like the jumping out of planes (I am terrified of heights) and bungee jumping (see last comment).

However, I did start thinking. I would like to take a cruise somewhere in Europe for my birthday. I think that would be neat and, hopefully, safe. Hubby isn't too sold on the idea but I do have over a year to convince him that it is HIS idea! Scandinavia has always fascinated me with the fjords and stuff. That would be fun. England would also be neat but, I hear it is pretty expensive. But then again - it is my "big" birthday so money is no object, right? Convincing Hubby about the truth of that last statement will probably be an impossible task!

Last night I was also thinking of doing something more. I have always been interested in donating to worthy charities (I get that from my father who has always wanted to find someone who needs a car. He would like to just get out of his car, hand the person the keys and walk away - and he thought this before the movie "Pay it Forward" ever came out!). I came up with an idea to "Give 40 40" in honor of my birthday. I would like to give 40 people or charities $40 each. Of course I am not sure of a couple of things - first that I will have that kind of money, and second, just who in the world I would donate to. Forty people/charities is a LOT to research and find. Also, if I give to 40 different charities, I really DON'T want to get forty envelopes containing appeals for more money every month. Being responsible for the killing of all those trees wouldn't be good!

It is just a thought. . . I haven't shared with Hubby yet and I haven't decided that is what I am really going to do. It just sounded nice at midnight last night as I listened to Hubby snoring away.

Anyway - I am going to post this and get to work on my sign language project. I have to describe how to make my favorite food - pumpkin pie! I made a pie last night and had the faithful Hubby take pictures of all the steps (he only grumbled a little bit) so I can put them into a PowerPoint to show as I sign my explanation. I think everything will go well but - I don't know how to say pumpkin!

Trisha

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well, being that I am 41... I am laughing. I know another person that just turned 38 and is talking about turning 40. I guess it is one of those birthdays... like when you turn 16, 18, 25 or 30.