Sunday, April 13, 2008

Sunday Singing

Hi All!

My husband and I just got back from church and I have to say - it was a good voice day. So much of my life has been spent singing - either in church or out - that when I had no voice due to SD it really bummed me out that I couldn't sing. I would go to church and silently listen to the congregation sing and be sad that I couldn't join in. Reading the words silently as others sing is just not the same!

I know that a lot of people with SD say that they are still able to sing even when they have no voice. I, on the other hand, was unable to do anything. I couldn't talk, sing, yell, or hum. I was basically totally silent. What a change for someone who always wandered around the house humming or singing (and driving my husband crazy!).

Now that I have recovered my voice to the point it is (which is pretty darn good compared to where I was at) I amnow able to hum and sing again. It was great to be in church and finally be able to sing along to the hymns. Of course, I have to sing pretty quietly and not all the notes come out but, I am still singing!

Take that ABSD! I am singing despite you! And you thought you would rule my life forever! Hah!

In the words of one of the hymns we sang this morning . . .

Praise the Lord, praise the Lord,
Let the earth hear His voice!
Praise the Lord, praise the Lord,Let the people rejoice!
O come to the Father, through Jesus the Son,
And give Him the glory, great things He has done.

Have a wonderful day!
Trisha

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your garage looks fabulous! Hmmmm... I'm feeling a tad envious!

Sigh. I cannot sing or hum at all. I often mouth the words like I am singing. I don't know why. Sometimes I don't. For some reason that makes me feel even worse. I can yell at times. Of course, my yelling is not all that loud. It is louder and clearer than speaking though. But, that is only good for a few sentences and only sometimes.

I'm glad you had a nice time at church.

d said...

How did you get your voice to recover to the point where it is?

I have ABSD, botox didn't work and I just live with it.

Trisha said...

Dean-

I have had two Botox shots - it is still under discussion as to if the Botox is why I am able to speak so well at the present time. I work with a speech therapist and did A LOT of vocal exercises. I also learned to talk on the inhale which really exercised the vocal chords. Right now no one is able to say for sure what helped me get to the place I am at. It might be Botox - it might be the fact that I was a fanatic about the vocal exercises, it might just be "the time" for me to talk.

No one knows how long I will be able to talk either - I wake up each day and thank God that I have another day of good voice.

One thing which might help you out is getting a microphone so that you don't have to strain to be heard - it really takes the pressure off your vocal chords and it made a difference for me.

Sorry I can't be more specific! How many times did you try Botox? Have you worked with a speech therapist who knows about ABSD?

Trisha