Saturday, April 19, 2008

Fallen Angels and Purses


Hi All!
I told you that I am a pretty fast reader - despite the month it took me to finish that Jane Austen book. Here is proof. I finished this book last night. It is another golden oldie from my grandmother and I must say that she certainly enjoyed . . . "romance (wink, wink, nudge, nudge, you know what I mean?)!" This book was full of it! Romance that is! This book is set in France just as the revolution is starting . . .quite a coincidence since my parents and Aunt Donna and Uncle Al went to see a high school production of Les Mis. last night. Which, of course, is set in the French Revolution.
I must admit that I skimmed over most of the "romantic" sections of the book - and there were a lot of "romantic" sections - because that really isn't my "thing." However, the book was a quick read and was entertaining. Not a bad selection from my pile of "oldies but goodies" from Grandma!
The other thing I have on my mind today (as I am avoiding going out and sitting with my husband in the midst of our pitiful yard sale offerings) is purses. I know some women are into the bigger is better mentality when it comes to purses - especially mothers of multiple children - but personally, I have always been a small purse kind of gal.
I don't want to lug around a purse weighing 50 pounds and which needs its own seat in restaurants. Not that there is anything wrong with that if it is what you do! I just like small, compact purses. My purses when I was single were cute little things. They held all of my essentials - money, lipstick, mirror, feminine supplies when needed. They weighed a total of maybe 6 pounds - if I had just gotten money from the bank!
Now, things are a little different. While I still want small purses, my reality has changed a bit. Not a whole lot - just a bit bigger so all of my stuff can fit in. Now my purse must carry the wallet - mine and usually my hubby's when we go out, the mirror, the lipstick, the feminine products - as needed, a small notepad for when I can't be heard, a little zippered pouch full of gift cards, a business card case containing my podcasting cards as well as informational cards about SD (the trifold cards sold by NSDA on their website), and my Spokeman amplifier and microphone.
As I type my little list of stuff, I realize that the heaviest things that I carry are related to my SD. My Spokeman is little but it does weigh a bit and the microphone, which pretty light, takes up a lot of space and can be difficult if the cord gets wrapped around every single item in my purse! The SD informational cards probably don't weigh too much but they do add to the SD weight in my purse as does my little notepad and pen.
Wow - SD really adds a lot of "accessories" to my life! Interesting. I still look with longing at the little purses which would have worked for me prior to SD but the snap back to reality and start looking for one I think will fit all of my stuff - especially my Spokeman which I am never without! Maybe it is only a matter of time before I start looking at the larger purses and think - "Hey - that looks just the right size!" Oh, where did my small purse days go?
Trisha

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hmmm... You've given me an idea for a blog post! My mother-in-law carried around the most hideous and ginormous turquois bag for years. Thanks!