Tuesday, April 14, 2009

ASL, Fingerspelling, Deaf Culture, Oh My!

Hi All!

To use a very outdated cliche . . . I feel like a broken record. Of course, one of my group members related that vinyl records are making a comeback because they are being marketed with the digital downloads of the songs they contain. Weird, huh? To think that people are buying actual records to get the downloads. You would think that they would simply just get the downloads and forget the record. Must be a nostalgia thing, right?

Oh - back to the point. I feel like all I have been talking about, and doing, and thinking about lately is the work I have for my classes. The pile of work is attempting to suffocate me like the poor landscaper who got smothered beneath a pile of palm fronds (that is a true story!). I beat the work back into submission only to have some new and more insidious assignment poke up.

For example. This play assignment has been taking up inordinate chunks of time lately. It has invaded my dreams! I continually think about Agatha Christie mysteries and find myself gravitating to them on my podcasts (I have a super Agatha Christie podcast series that is fun to listen to while I walk). It doesn't seem like the play will ever be finished and yet it has to be finished for presentation on Thursday. THIS Thursday!

Just when I get all nice and stressed out about the play, a fingerspelling assignment pops up. I have to find a current event article to translate into ASL. Doesn't sound hard, does it? Well, you have to add in the requirements - 10 Fingerspelled Loan Signs (special signs borrowed from English and hard to explain!), 5 cities and states (which is the center of debate . . . does that mean 5 cities with states as a unit - like Chicago, Illinois - or does it mean 5 cities and/or states?), 2 labellings (I have no clue - they introduced this when I was at the NSDA conference), and a certain number of names.

EEEEEEKKKKKK!

Trying to find an article to incorporate all of that . . . very difficult.

However . . . I did it! I found an article with pretty much everything (okay, I had to fudge one of the labellings but . . .) and I am ready to take it to the lab today to video myself "saying" it in ASL.

Sounds like everything is under control, right? Wrong!

For Deaf Culture I need to have a chapter read and questions answered. Of course I have been working on the darn play and totally forgot about the chapter! It is due today! I hope I have enough time to get it done before class.

And then . . . there is a paper lurking in the background for ASL - yes, the same class that the play is due for! I know what I am going to write about but . . . writing it takes time and currently that is in pretty meager supply around here.

Not to mention the need to play with my beautiful kitties and spend time with my husband and buy food and clean the house and wash clothes and wash dishes and . . .

Calgon . . . take me away!

Trisha

Voice Update: Well . . . I haven't had time to really focus on it lately but it is slowly getting better. I have speech tomorrow so I will get a nice massage which will hopefully kick it into gear.

2 comments:

Mental P Mama said...

Calgon, indeed. You're going to need two boxes;)

Flea said...

Ack! You're having so much fun!

Chris has a collection of his favorite albums growing up, all with really cool cover art, framed and having in the man cave upstairs.