Monday, February 9, 2009

What is That Sound and It Must Have Been Something You Ate

Hi All!

Luckily, I was awake at about two in the morning when Hubby turned over and said "What's that sound?"

Since I had been awake for a while, I knew exactly what the sound was even though it has been a LOOOOONG time since it has been heard in this part of the world. The sound, my friends, was rain. Yes, rain.

Rain was thumping on the roof and rattling down the downspouts. When the wind shifted it pelted the window panes with tiny tinkles of sound. It was a symphony of watery sound.

It is understandable that Hubby was woken by the sound. It has been several weeks, or maybe even months since we have had rain. Each time the weather man tantalizes us with the possibility of rain, it misses us or manifests as a barely-there mist. This time, however, it was real rain. The kind that soaks you to the skin in less than a minute if you venture out to pick up the paper in its protective plastic bag.

Normally, I would tell you how much rain we have actually gotten to this point but, as I said during my date night, our rain gauge is broken and we can't find another.

Noble Pig - a rain gauge is just a hollow tube with inch measurements on the outside which catches rain. By noting how high the rain is in the tube you can tell how much rain you have gotten.

Our trusty rain gauge, which we have had for about ten years, finally gave up the ghost and cracked during out recent ice storm. Since Hubby is the kind of man who enjoys the weather station I gave him for his birthday several years ago, he also likes knowing exactly how much rain we have gotten. The online search for a rain gauge is on!

In other exciting news . . . my stomach is conspiring against my plans for this week to be the week when I am finally feeling back in control of my life. It all started late in the evening of my "date night" with hubby. Cramping and the feeling that everything in my body was becoming liquid before making a rather hasty exit. Nice, huh? I thought so too.

When I woke up on Sunday I felt better. Until I actually ate. Then . . . the cramping and liquefying began anew. Imagine the fun I had! Well, to increase my enjoyment of the whole experience, I also got the upgrade to "waking up multiple times during the night to visit the bathroom." Something that is soooooo "special!"

Needless to say, I didn't get much sleep last night. Between the rain, the bathroom visits, and unusually restless cats (both decided to walk up and down my body pretty much all night long), I was able to log in about four hours of actual sleep. Goodness. This week is certainly beginning well, don't you think?

When I told Hubby I was still feeling rather "punky" this morning he responded with "It must have been something you ate." Gee - you think?

Trisha

Voice Update: Massaging away the day . . . that is the name of the game if you want good voice.

9 comments:

Woman in a Window said...

I dunno about the something you ate. It seems it's been snaking round the blogging world, taking down unsuspecting victims right and left. My son and I had the pains this past weekend but nothing else, just a feeling of unwell. Even that's no fun.

I envy you the patter of the rain. We had a touch of it but it was only a touch. I'd have loved if it would have let loose! (And now everything's frozen again...oh well.)

Mental P Mama said...

Men are such geniuses. And what is it with the rain gauges? Hope you are on the mend soon;)

Anonymous said...

If I had a raun gauge, it would be so empty I do enjoy the barometer though.

Chris H said...

OOO we have rain too after quite a long time without. Only ours is like heavy drizzle, can't hear it!
Bummer (excuse the pun) about the upset tummy.

david mcmahon said...

I wish we could hear the sound of rain in our parched land.

(Came here from In The Gutter's site.)

imbeingheldhostage said...

I love when my hubby tries hard to sound like he's participating in a conversation, he makes brilliant comments like "I guess it was something you ate" or "Wow, maybe I shouldn't feed Miss Ky sugar before bedtime, she seems sort of hyper".

I hope you kick this soon, maybe you should try the brat diet (bananas, rice, apples and toast) for a while until your tummy likes food again?

Anonymous said...

Yippee for your rain! Finally!

Hope your tummy is on the mend. Very nice job being subtle with the descriptions!

Jinksy said...

The subject of poo rears its ugly head on yet another blog that isn't mine or Weaver of Grass'. Small world really...

Susan English Mason said...

I hope you feel better soon. thanks for sharing your story and congrats on the potd mention from David.