Sunday, February 8, 2009

Book Bonanza!

Hi All!

Even thought I am busy as a beaver reading books for my classes which are . . . shall we say, less than enjoyable, I have managed to read a few for my own pleasure. So, hang onto your hats and . . . away we go!

The first book is another of Grandma's Goodies - The Dreamers by Vera Caspary.

This book is . . .okay. It was good enough to keep me reading but not good enough to make me not want to put it down. The story is that there are three daughters of a "poorish" family. Their father dies and they are left with their rather puritanical mother. The oldest is a bookish woman who isn't that pretty. Next comes the self-centered beauty who need constant adoration to feel complete. Finally is the baby, a strong willed woman who becomes and artist and lives a rather bohemian life.

The oldest teaches school and remains at home to help their mother. She contributes to the household finances even when the Great Depression hits and the school can no longer afford to pay her salary. The middle daughter marries a man whom she believes will "take her away" from her old life. Unfortunately for her, she finds herself caught in a bad marriage. She has an affair which eventually causes a divorce and a remarriage. The youngest moves into an artists loft where she has an "illicit" affair with a married man.

All three daughters continually search for their own identities during the course of the book.

This book is . . . interesting. However, I don't believe I would run out to the book store this minute to look for it. If it happens to fall into your hands . . .fine. If not, no big loss!

Next is Always the Bridesmaid By Sarah Webb.



Set in Ireland, the main character is a 29 year old woman who has recently broken her engagement to "the perfect man." (Please forgive me but I don't remember her name and have given the book to a charity book sale!) She has moved back home to live with her parents and to lick her wounds.

Enter her younger sister who returns from Australia with a handsome fiance. The knife twists as the younger sister plans her wedding and asks her older sister, the main character, to be her bridesmaid. The knife twists again with mc's (main character's) best friend gets engaged. Again, MC is asked to be a bridesmaid.

During all of the wedding planning, MC's ex-fiance becomes involved with her other best friend. MC finds out when going to her friend's house for a surprise visit and learns the man has spent the night!

MC's only refuge is her job at a quirky, local bookstore. While working she meets a handsome, rich, young author who appears interested in her. Many unexpected twists and turns occur in the course of the book ending with an ending that will leave you smiling.

This is a good "chic " book and, as the cover says, would be perfect to take on vacation for a beach read.

Finally is Fireside by Susan Wiggs.


Hubby had no end of fun making fun of the author's last name. I am so glad that he gets some enjoyment out of my reading!

Apparently, this is a book which continues a story about a small town called Aurora. I have never read any of Susan Wigg's books so I really have no clue.

In this book, a woman arrives in the small town dressed in a badly wrinkled evening gown and high heels with dark glasses hiding her eyes. At the airport, a handsome man helps her get her heels unstuck from the moving walkway despite her very, very apparent dislike of him. The two part ways only to find themselves flung together by fate.

The man is at the airport to meet his twelve year old son, whom he has never met. His son, AJ is coming to stay with his unknown father because his mother has been caught in an immigration "sting" in Texas, their home state. A battle to keep his mother from being deported continues throughout the book even though everyone who knows the woman is sure that she was born in the United States.

While waiting for the immigration mess to be cleared up, the man and AJ move into an oddly painted boarding house in town which just happens to be run by the airport woman's mother. Doesn't this sound like a fun twist to the story?

This is a fun book and I would say it would be perfect as a vacation or fireside read for anyone who likes to read "light" literature.

Well, there they are folks! My most recent "non-class" reads. As I type this they are on their way (thanks to Hubby) to a local book sale to benefit an education foundation. Since I will no doubt be shopping at the sale, I feel like I should contribute to their stock. If anyone is in the area of Carrollton, Texas during the time of February 26 to March 1 - stop by the sale. All books are $1 with hardbacks at $2. The inventory is absolutely enormous with the sale filling an empty Old Navy store to the brim. Let me know if you want more info!

Trisha

Voice Update: I am still doing well. I am getting back on the massage boat, so to speak. Yesterday at DI training I only had some missing unspoken consonants during the last part of the training so . . . not too bad!

2 comments:

Daisy said...

I keep a "pleasure" reading book or two or three aroung at any given time. I read a lot of in-depth research in my work (teaching), and I need some respite. Have you discovered PaperbackSwap.com? It's great for book exchanges.

Anonymous said...

Ah! I love the book sales that they have at the abandoned Old Navy store. We're officially soulmates.