Thursday, February 12, 2009

Why Do You Do It?

Hi All!

What were you thinking when you started writing (or reading) blogs? Did you want to change the world? Did you want to write literary masterpieces? Did you want to find the answer to all the problems in the world

A conversation I had recently with a woman I will call "Goetta Girl" started me thinking about blogs and their purposes. GG told me that she had started a blog but hadn't updated it in a long time because she wasn't an expert on anything. She couldn't blog because she wasn't an expert! Huh? I blog all the time, practically every day, and I certainly am NOT an expert on much, if anything.

Do you have to be an expert to blog? Do people who read your blog actually think you are an expert? If you do and they do . . . I am in BIG trouble around here!

My blog began as a way for me to express myself at a time when I quite literally couldn't do it in any other way. My voice wasn't very audible even though I was beginning to get a "real" voice again. Talking on the phone wasn't really an option because SD had robbed me of volume and most people didn't have the patience to actually listen to what I was saying so they could hear me.

There was never an intent to be an expert on my blog even though I did intend to spread information about Spasmodic Dysphonia to different people. I only write about what I know in my life and experiences. I write to express myself, to feel validated as a member of the communicating world, to vent. Basically, I just write to write.

As for reading blogs . . . I don't choose the blogs I read regularly because of their expert opinions or their literary quality - even though there are some blogs which show both characteristics frequently - I choose them because I like them. For some reason, I just plain like the blog. There is a connection there somewhere. There is enjoyment.

Why do you read and/or write blogs? I am curious!

Trisha

Voice Update: Still have that crunchy thing going on. It normally won't go away until Susan gets working on my neck and reaches those spots I just can't reach. So - until next Wednesday, I guess I will be crunchy! Massage and exercise. Massage and exercise! Massage and exercise!!!

5 comments:

Mental P Mama said...

I started for fun...and now I love the community of friends!

Chris H said...

I started blogging because:
- I was desperatly lonely
- I wanted to keep a 'diary' with photos!
- I wanted to be supported and support other weight loss people
- I just loved doing it!
- I loved reading about other people.

I read other blogs cos It's interesting to read about other people, other places, other situations... and to have my two cents worth too! If I feel I can offer advice or support to someone across the cyberspace, then I will! It's like reaching out and touching lives. It is nice.

Anonymous said...

I started as a place to chronicle my vineyard and recipes and kids and everything. Who knew. But no expert.

Anonymous said...

I had a couple reasons... Number one, I write because it's in me to write. The process of writing makes me think. What do I want to say and how do I want to say it?
Number two, I was lonely. I'd been sitting at home with my daughter and her disability for 7 years with pretty much no social life. If I could connect with people, it would be fantastic.

So mission accomplished, and no... I don't think you have to be an expert to blog. You do have to be (in my opinion) a good observer and willing to comment on life!

*Sarah* said...

Trisha!! Love your blog! :) Sorry it's taken me a while to come and actually leave a comment! As you can see, I still haven't decided I had anything worthwhile to say on my blog... and even if I did, it pains me to do it without pictures to accompany the post, so I still have a blank blog. How sad! I will try to remedy that situation very soon! :)

-Goetta Girl :)