Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Procrastination

Hi All!

Ever since I can remember, I have been plagued with the propensity to procrastinate (and to alliterate!). Being very "head strong (stubborn?? No way!)" I found that procrastination put me in control of things I didn't want to do.

The teacher wants me to write a boring report of mythology? I don't want to do it so . . . put it off until the last possible minute and then cram to get it done.

Somehow, the teacher never figured out that it was done hastily. I had gotten away with it so I continued to practice procrastination. Or course, I totally understood that procrastination wasn't a good thing. I don't particularly like the pressure of knowing something is coming up and that I might not have time to finish my project properly. Much of the pressure came from the expectations others had for my performance. I was expected to do great things - creative, interesting, unique.

It is a lot of pressure to have people expect that kind of thing from you! The dislike of the pressure and the fear that I wouldn't live up to the expectations pushed me deeper into the world of procrastination. If I don't have to think about it . . . I don't have to worry about it. Right?

Wrong. Sort of. I am able to forget about projects for short periods of time but then they start to creep into the edges of my thoughts. They invade my dreams and wake me in the night. Then they decline to allow me to drift off to sleep again and keep me up, tossing and turning, while details of the project run endlessly through my head.

Currently, I am in full procrastination mode about a paper and presentation I need to finish for my ASL 3 class on Thursday. I am nervous about the presentation so I have put it off. Now that the time is running out and I am faced with limited time to both create and practice the presentation . . . I am feeling pressured!

I should tell you that as I have matured I have become much better with procrastination. Normally, I do things ahead of time now - even things I would rather not do at all. I have learned that procrastination - and the sleepless nights that come with it - isn't exactly my favorite past time. Take my classes - I am ahead in every single class and on every single project - except this one.

And what am I currently doing? Procrastinating by blogging, of course!

Trisha

Voice Update: Not too much to say - things are still going well. I am going to have to cancel my speech session for this week so I can stay home for the plumbers. Hubby said he would take another day off of work but he has already taken a bunch lately so . . . I am biting the bullet and taking one for the team!

2 comments:

Mental P Mama said...

I have found that the blog is a procrastinator's little slice of heaven;) Now get to work.

Anonymous said...

I'm getting better about procrastinating too. I plan to give it up this year! Seriously!