Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Spring is in the Air!

Hi All!

My walk today was a revelation of the start of spring in my area. First, the temperature was in the low 50s which meant that I didn't have to "suit up" to venture outside. Instead, I was clad in a turtleneck and sweatshirt along with my walking jeans. No coat. No gloves. No scarf. No earmuffs! It felt freeing to not have layer upon layer padding my body.

The wind was blowing softly as I set out and felt like a welcoming gesture upon my skin. The breeze perfectly accented the music my iPod was providing as my soundtrack for the morning. Beautiful.

Walking onwards I stopped often to appreciate the newly opened faces of golden daffodils nodding in the breeze. Among the new buds were also hopeful young sprouts of indeterminate variety just emerging from the dormant earth.

A sprouting sprig of Forsythia was next to stop me in my tracks. One lone sprig on the shrub was budding with vibrant yellow flowers and pale green leaves. The tiny blossoms held the hope that the rest of the shrub would soon awaken to the gentle spring and burst forth in joyous color.

A dash of red in a budding tree caught my eye and caused me to pause to savor the Cardinal's sweet song. My heart swelled with joy as I glimpsed a female Cardinal flying to join the stunning male on his swaying stage.

Not much further along the way several trees were showing vibrant green buds just opening out of the dark winter shells protecting them from ice and frosty gusts. The buds looks like natural fireworks bursting forth in a gray sky to brighten the mood.

Smiling, I sniffed the air as I headed towards home. Spring. I could just detect a hint of Spring.

Returning home I dug out a pack of Bluebonnet seeds and sowed them around the base of a tree out front. Maybe they will take hold, root, and grow. Maybe they will only serve as food for hungry birds. Either way, I am satisfied.

Trisha

Voice Update: I got back to massaging my neck yesterday. I am really beginning to enjoy seeing the looks on faces as I sit massaging away at stop lights. It is really comical sometimes! Yesterday a woman even touched her own throat as if to see what I was doing. Fun! My voice is doing very well. I am happy.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

The weather here in Colorado is insane. We can get every kind of weather any time of year. It is a bit of a tease. Today is supposed to be nice but windy. We have gotten snow in May every year we've been here... and blizzards nearly every Easter. But... today... in Februaury... it is nice. We will not see flowers until late April and all those will freeze. Flowers are not safe until after May and then not even then. We get a lot of hail in the summer. Spring around here means that people have stuck some fake flowers in their flower boxes. No joke.

Mental P Mama said...

Grrrr. We are two months away from what you saw this morning....but I am happy about your voice!

Chris H said...

I hope your little flowers grow! We still have a good 6 weeks of sticky hot summer to go! At least our mornings are a bit cooler now. I am not looking forward to winter... even though it is not going to be as cold here in Auckland as it was down in Palmerston North!