Monday, February 16, 2009

So Sad . . .

Hi All!

Happy Presidents' Day!

Hubby, being a government working, is home today and let me tell you - it is throwing my schedule off! I did get myself out of bed this morning (with some help from two hungry kitties) and out walking. What a good thing walking is. There is nothing quite like a brisk walk in the morning - watching the birds and the people. Hearing all the morning sounds. Looking at all the landscaping. Feeling alive!

Speaking of feeling alive . . .

In the March issue of Reader's Digest (don't get me started on why magazines come out ahead of the month they are designed for!), there is a nice little page on which Jim Lehrer, anchorman of The NewsHour with Jim Lehrer on PBS, tells what he is listening to, watching, reading, etc.

Normally, I enjoy this kind of page. I feel like I am getting some kind of special insight into a celebrity's life. I also like to get hints about books, movies, and music I might not know about.

Jim Lehrer's page though gave me quite a shock. He is quoted under the "What He's Listening To" section as saying this "I'm always amazed when people say they have 3,000 songs on their iPod. I'll think, Why? I appreciate classical music, but it's not a big part of my life."

That just stopped me in my tracks!

It is difficult for me to imagine that someone, who is not Deaf, doesn't have music as an important part of their life! Music is such an integral and vital part of my life that I can no more imagine a life without music than a life without breathing! In the mornings, I wake up with a song in my head. During my drives to school I cherish the variety of music available on XM radio. Flipping between Country, Classical, Broadway tunes, 50s music, Elvis, Classic Rock, and Jazz makes my drive interesting. As I drive I can marvel at the minds of the composers and the musicians who create such beautiful music (or sometimes such horrible music!).

Sure, there are times when I choose not to listen to music. Sometimes I need the quiet. Sometimes the house is so loud with the dishwasher, the tv, etc. that music would just intrude. In an odd way, all of the background noise is a different kind of music to me. I can find music in the rhythms of car tires on the highway, tools at a construction site, birds chirping at the feeder. The wind creates music as it whistles through the leaves and plays with the flag on our flagpole.

Music isn't that important in Jim Lehrer's life. How sad!

Trisha

Voice Update: I slacked off on the massage and exercise yesterday. Probably because I was sleeping a good portion of the day in an effort to stave off further stomach "issues." I haven't talked much today but, my voice is still here. As for the quality . . . I have no clue yet! Back to the massage! I have speech this week!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I listen to music less than I used to... I hadn't realized that until I read this post. I am often surrounded by silence. Now I am going to be wondering if there is some sort of significance to that.

Anonymous said...

I agree with you but I know lots who don't. It's weird or their choice I guess!

Anonymous said...

Music isn't a big part of my life either. I like it, but I have other things spinning through my head. I tend to listen to political radio, news or even comedy. I don't own or want an ipod.

Wierd huh?!

Mental P Mama said...

Music is so important to me as well, I cannot understand that quote of his. And don't worry, your hubby will be back at work tomorrow and your mojo will return to normal;)