Sunday, June 14, 2009

We are on the Ship! Finally!

Hi All!

I know it has been a couple of days since my last post. However, you will be sure to understand when you "hear" what has been going on!

Hubby and I are on an Alaskan cruise. We were supposed to meet the ship in Seattle, Washington and leave into the vast Pacific to head for Alaska at about 4:00 P.M. Well . . . let's just say that things didn't go according to plan.

First, there was a HUGE storm in Dallas. This doesn't happen too often in June so we hadn't thought anything about it. For SIX hours, the airport was CLOSED! No planes going in or out for SIX HOURS! Needless to say, our flight was a bit delayed!

After they finally opened the airport we got on the plane and headed to Albuquerque, our first stop since you can't legally fly from Dallas to anywhere out of the surrounding states directly. We got to our first stop and continued to Seattle. We arrived in Seattle at about 6:30 P.M.

If you were reading closely, you may have noticed that the ship was leaving port at 4:00P.M. and that we didn't get to Seattle until 6:30 P.M. Yes, we missed the ship!

Because we have never had any problems in the past with our flights, we didn't buy any travel insurance and found out that if we wanted to catch the ship at the first stop, Ketchican, Alaska, we were totally responsible for the costs.

Well, we decided to suck it up and catch the ship. We stayed one night in Seattle in an adequate hotel and had a nice home style meal at Dave's Diner (after which we walked backt to the hotel - a nice evening walk of about a mile or so). The next morning (Friday) we headed to the airport (which we were now pretty familiar with by this time from the previous night's airport adventures!) and caught our flight on Alaskan Airways to Ketchican. The flight took a little over an hour and a half (and was EXPENSIVE!!) and took us to the bustling Ketchican International Airport. Which has ONE gate! Yes, you read that right. I will post pictures on a post when we get back home if I don't figure out how to do it from the ship.

We spent a day in Ketchican, a night at the Cape Fox Lodge, and met the ship at about 9:00 A.M. with all of our luggage. We were finally on the ship! YEAH!

This wasn't the "normal" method of catching a cruise but . . . it was certainly an adventure!

I now have my internet minutes on the ship so I can blog regularly to let you know what is going on. Right now, Hubby is sitting beside me "patiently waiting" until I am done so we can go back to the cabin and go to bed.

It has been an adventure already and is sure to continue to be interesting. There is a lot more to let you know and pictures to share.

I hope everyone is doing well and I will be checking your blogs tomorrow when I have more time and when I am more awake!


Voice Update: Surprisingly good considering the stress levels. I haven't been doing my massage because, quite honestly, I keep forgetting. I will have to have Hubby help me out with a few loving reminders!


Chris H said...

What can I say? Next time get travel insurance!!!!
Glad you are now safely on board.. enjoy the rest of your holiday!

Mental P Mama said...

I cannot wait to hear about it! This is one of my dreams;) By the way, I love how blogging gets into your skin, and you have to get it done;) Your hubby is a patient man!

Asthmagirl said...

I wish you'd told me you were going to be in Seattle... I'd have tried to arrange a meet! I live not too far from Dave's diner! The one with the car out front!
Hope you're having a fun cruise even with the rocky start!