Sunday, June 29, 2008

Alaskan Pictures Part II

Hi All!

It is Sunday and I am being very lazy. It feels so good to be home. I have been catching up on my blogs and email. Who knew I was so popular?

Okay - enough small talk. Here are some more pictures!

Our first stop this cruise was Ketchikan. We have been to this lovely place before so we just hiked around the town a bit and enjoyed the scenery. I can't remember if we did any souvenir shopping or not.Ketchikan has a lot of totem poles. There is a totem pole park which we didn't go to on this trip but you can also see totem poles around town. I took this picture to show the totem pole and the beautiful mountains in the background. The lamp post was just in the way!

Probably the most recognizable part of Ketchican is Creek Street. This is an entire street built on wooden walkways which rise above the creek on wooden stilts. This area is mostly tourist shops now but in its heyday it was the red light district of the city.

Here is Hubby gesturing wildly that I should take this picture with the camera turned the other way. I did take another picture that way but thought this was too funny! The rain gauge in the background keeps track of the rain for the year. Can you see the little fish sticking out of the side of the gauge? It is about even with the top of the first floor. That is how much rain they have gotten this year. Impressive!This picture is for my mother who told me that there are no flowers in Alaska. Wrong, wrong, wrong. While our trip was rather early in the year (an Alaska native told me that no one sets out annuals until June 1) there were some shrubs and things blooming. Not as impressive as they will be in another month or so but . . . .Look Mom! Flowers!

Trisha

Voice Update: I haven't talked too much yet this morning but, from what I can tell, I am still in good voice. Darn it - I really need to get on my exercises. Vacations make me lazy!

4 comments:

April said...

Trisha thank you for sharing your pictures! They are so beautiful. My parents are leaving tomorrow for Alaska and I am jealous. Glad you had such a good time!

Lauren said...

Love you pictures, that must be fun visiting alaska! Try Hawaii sometime its a great place to visit.

KitchenKiki said...

Hi Trisha-
Thanks for sharing your pictures and for stopping by my little world.
My Dad & his wife are just finishing an Alaskan Cruise, so I'll get to see another 7 billion photos the next time I visit. :)

Anonymous said...

Oh I saw lovely flowers while in Alaska...these are beautiful.