Sunday, May 25, 2008

Ring Of Fire: The Johnny Cash Musical Show

Hi All!
Yesterday was another musical adventure for Hubby and me! We went to see "Ring of Fire: The Johnny Cash Musical Show." Now, I must admit that while I know who Johnny Cash is (or was - he is dead now), I really never listened to his music. Sure, I had heard it now and then but never deliberately. I also remember seeing him on CMT several years ago singing some song (which turned out to be "Hurt"). Of course Hubby was certain that I was mistaking him for Roy Orbison (or however that is spelled!). For a while even I wasn't sure!

The crowd was rather light for this show. The production started exactly 6 minutes late (thanks for noting that Hubby!) and was pretty much all music with some short narration thrown in for good measure. The musicians were onstage the entire time and there were ten or so singers/cast members who came on and off the stage in various numbers and manners of dress. The set was pretty neat. It was two pieces made to look sort of like two storied shacks from the front and from the back looked industrial with metal bars and stuff. They turned thanks to the elbow grease of the cast members.

The music was good. I was totally unfamiliar with most of it (I think I figured out I had heard of four of the songs and one was "I've Been Everywhere" which is highlighted in the Comfort Inn commercials.). I could appreciate the talent of the singers and the musicians but I didn't get "into" the show as much as I may have if I was more familiar with the repertoire.

I do need to take a minute to talk about the fiddle player. Yes, I said fiddle. I know that the instrument is properly called a violin but in this kind of music - it is truly a fiddle! Anyhow - this guy was talented! He was sawin' away on that fiddle and he also really got into the music doing his own little dance moves. He even did a back bend at one point in the show. I found myself watching him more than everyone else on stage. He was good! His name was Jens Kramer. Kudos to you Jens!

Over all, this was an entertaining show. I don't know that I would clamor to see it again but, once was enjoyable. If you are a really big Johnny Cash show, maybe you would like to make a point to see it. I did buy the CD - which turned out to be a double CD with a total of 39 songs. Of course they are not sung by Johnny but by listening to them I will become more familiar with his music.

Well, that is about it! I will have to tell you about our visit to a Chinese restaurant and our exciting "shopping spree" tomorrow!

Have a fabulous Sunday!

Trisha

Voice Update: Pretty good. I haven't really talked too much today but when I do talk - it is fine. Still not as strong as I would like it and cutting out on a few words here and there. I just charged my Spokeman back up so it is ready for service again. It is almost like a security blanket for me to use the microphone. I know that I can be heard and can relax about trying to make my voice better than it is. If you don't have a personal amplification system - I would recommend looking for one. The Spokeman is reasonably priced and pretty portable! Oh - I can't forget my massage today!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love reading your blogs. I'm not a major fan of Johnny Cash but am pretty familiar with most of his music. I grew up on a farm so country was quite vogue! In my guitar days, I also played some of his music.

Thanks for mentioning your Spokeman again. I get so frustrated when I get in situations such as restaurants, groups of people, etc where I have to strain to speak. I think I am resisting the notion that I may need a device to assist my speech. I looked at tape recorders today and found one I will purchase (the only reason I didn't purchase today was that the package was damaged and I didn't want to purchase a lemon. My voice has been horrible the last few days. We live within 5 miles of a tornado that swept through Windsor on Thursday - maybe there are some anxious subconscious vibrations going around in my head. I need to be more diligent with breathing, speech therapy, etc. I need to find a regimen that will help.

Anyway thanks for your encouragement.

Trisha said...

Ecolo-

I was wondering how my Colorado blogfriends were after the tornadoes. I am glad to hear that you are okay. I am sure that the stress of the situation is affecting (or is it effecting? I get them confused!) your voice! Stress really does a number on my voice.

My best advice is to breath!