Saturday, March 21, 2009

Sinking Feeling

Hi All!

When I was teaching, there would always be at least one meeting every school year about where education is going and all of the new changes that were coming up. This usually included some new government mandate that just didn't make a lot of sense. I remember sitting in this kind of meeting with a sinking feeling in my stomach. How was I supposed to teach the students what they needed while doing all of this new stuff that just didn't make sense? Would the parents understand the changes or blame the educators for everything, as usual? It was times like this that I really felt, deep down inside, that education and the public schools were doomed.

I hated that feeling.

Since I haven't been teaching, I have had that sinking feeling a couple of times. Usually when I think about my SD and getting a new job. Not fun.

Last night, I got that pit-of-the-stomach feeling again while Hubby was watching tv.

Each night before we can go to sleep, Hubby has to watch tv in bed for a while. This is his method of "unwinding." Personally, I don't like watching tv before bed - I would rather read quietly but . . . Anyway. Last night Hubby was flipping through the channels as usual. I was listening to my podcasts and reading but every once in a while I would glance up at something interesting. How pipe organs are made. A travel show about some exotic place. The news.

Then I heard what caused the sinking feeling. It was a political show I guess - Hubby likes the talk programs. This particular one was discussing various things going on politically - the stimulus packages, the video Obama sent to Iran, the economy. As the people analysed everything, the sinking feeling began. Taxing bonuses at 90%. Taxing people who make over $250,000. The national debt continuing to rise. The fact that Iran will view Obama's tape as a "surrender." Possible terrorist activities. Private enterprise going under because of all the new rules and regulations. How the government was just making everything worse.

My stomach was roiling.

Another reason not to watch television before going to bed!

Trisha

Voice Update: My voice is doing well but my throat/neck is still a bit sore as I massage it. I am doing the massage but . . . ouch!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's so hard not to watch but we should all stay informed. The worst is there is just no relief in site and no one really knows where this is all going. It's insane.

Chris H said...

If you don't want to get upset and angry/frustrated etc.. don't watch or read the news! I read the news in the morning on the 'net... then that's it for the day. I don't need the aggrivation it causes! Why can't 'they' report on good things for a change I say!

Anonymous said...

Bear in mind that there's more than one side to the story... in this case, many. Obama is working through issues that haven't been dealt with and folks are analyzing the heck out of everything. As a country, we're very reactive right now. Instead of taking a wait and see approach, we're trying to figure out what's right and wrong before the ink is dry. Time will tell if his policies work.