Saturday, March 14, 2009

My Free Day

Hi All!

Yesterday was my first "free" day. The first official day of my Spring Break from college (gee - I feel weird typing that since I am OLD for college!)! It is incredible how excited I get when I just have a day to do absolutely nothing.

Not that I just sat in one spot staring at the wall yesterday . . . I did some of my all-time favorite things. First, I played with my kitties. They make me laugh so hard when they both decide to go after the toy at the same time and end up running over each other. I am afraid that my dear Miss Cleo gets the worst of those encounters since Skor just zooms right over her back.

Next, I took a long, leisurely nap. No alarm clock. Nothing to require me to get up at a certain time. It was raining so the rain on the roof lulled me gently off to sleep and I woke up when my body told me it was time to get up. Heavenly! Of course, the cats thought I should get up about an hour before my body did - it was a little hard to convince them that I wouldn't forget their lunch but that they needed to wait a little bit!

After the nap I took a hot shower - one of my favorite things in life. A hot shower just relaxes me and refreshes me. Now, I know that hot water isn't the best thing for your skin but, really, a lukewarm shower just doesn't do it for me!

Once I was dressed I grabbed a glass of water and headed up to my bonus room. This room is one which Hubby has relinquished pretty much totally to me. It is home to my desk - where I graded papers when I taught and where I podcast. My sewing machine also is a resident of the bonus room. The sewing machine was the purpose of my trip upstairs yesterday but I also found time to appreciate the television - the "old" one from the living room which was replaced with a flat screen - and my beautiful yellow sectional.

Let me tell you about my sectional. I love it. It is a lovely yellow color which never fails to make me smile. It is sleek and modern looking - quite a contrast to our normal furnishings which tend to be on the traditional side. One side of the sectional - right in front of the television - is a chaise. I have always wanted a chaise and now I have one. I enjoy lounging on it and feeling like a pampered woman.

Anyway - yesterday I headed upstairs, turned on my Gilmore Girls reruns, and started sewing. First I repaired my walking jeans - again. Because my thighs are less than - shall we say - slender, my jeans tend to wear out where they rub together. Since I walk every morning and wear the jeans whenever it is cool, these things have seen a lot of walking . . . and a lot of rubbing! I took denim for my "donor jeans" and patched the "holey" area. My mother says I should just throw the jeans out but, I get some kind of pleasure in patching them and making them usable again. True, they don't look the best but . .. who is looking between my legs when I am walking at 7:00 in the morning?

Next, I took out my fabric stash - scraps of fabric from past projects - and started preparing to make some Homely Homies. Homely Homies are my version of the ugly dolls which are sold for a LOT of money. My version is made of a wild patchwork of fabrics and is much cheaper! It was shocking to find out just how much fabric was in my stash because it all fits into a plastic shoe box! Who knew that so much could fit in such a little place?

Finally, I got sewing and got one panel done for my Homely Homies project. Only about a million more to go! I promise to show you a picture of my Homely Homies when I actually get some made. I made some at Christmas time for the family gift card exchange (they had pockets on them to hold the gift cards) but they are in Ohio and I don't have any good pictures of them.

About the time I finished my panel, Hubby came home. I returned to the downstairs and, while he took a nap, I snuggled up in my reading chair with my silky throw (the only kind of throw that lets cat hair just slide right off!), my iPod docked in the speaker system, and a good book about Jewish pirates. How can you go wrong with that set up?

It was a perfect, perfect, free day!

Trisha

Voice Update: My voice . . . is still good. In fact, my mother-in-law was shocked to hear me and told Hubby that she was positive I was "cured." We both just sort of laughed at that idea because we know how hard I have to work to keep my voice in this shape. If I was cured, I wouldn't have to work so hard, would I?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am so jealous.

Flea said...

Jewish pirates? What the heck?!? Too funny!

Karen at Rocking Pony won the book contest. Sorry. But I get to meet you IRL! Yay!