Thursday, April 10, 2008

A Morning Walk

Hi All!

I just got in from my morning walk. It is a nice rainy day here but luckily I didn't get wet! I began walking on the suggestion of my speech therapist as a way to improve my breathing. Yes, despite all the years of admonitions from various doctors about getting more exercise, I finally started walking regularly due to my SD! I guess that is a silver lining to the SD cloud!

Anyway - I now walk one or two times a day. Once in the morning and once after dinner with my husband. Of course getting him to walk took a little ingenuity! We live near a golf course and he agreed to walk with me if we could go hunt for golf balls on the course at the end of our walk. No- neither of us plays golf - he just likes to find golf balls. Our house is filled with them now!

I do see a lot of breathing improvement due to the walking and am now working on getting some weight off. I have lost 3 whole pounds so far! Woo-hoo! What a big deal. I have been walking since January!

I use the time on my walk to listen to podcasts. There is just so much good stuff out there to listen to and I don't have time during the day. If I listen while I walk I know I will have at least 45 minutes to listen every morning. I don't use the iPod when I walk with my huaband because I always think we will talk. Sometimes we do but more often - we don't. Even thought I do listen to my podcasts while I walk, I can still hear the sounds of nature (my mother thinks I don't appreciate the birds, etc. because of the ipod!). In fact today there were a lot of birds flying around - probably gorging on the bugs last night's rains brought out. I had a great time watching a swallow pas-de-deux this morning. I stopped and watched the birds do this intricate "dance" chasing bugs. It was beautiful. It is hard to believe that the birds can change directions so quickly!

Also - I stopped down the road from my house to listen to a neighbor playing the piano. It is neat to stand on the sidewalk and "eavesdrop" on the music. Ah - the wonders of a good morning walk!

Trisha

No comments: