Friday, July 25, 2008

Morning Walk Wishing

Hi All!

I just came back from my morning walk. The sun was shining, the birds were singing, the sprinklers were sprinkling, the landscapers were mowing and edging and blowing, people were jogging, the sweat was flowing . . .

Yes, it was a beautiful day! I always enjoy my morning walk served with soggy shorts and a soaked shirt. It really makes me look even lovelier than usual!

As the summer has progressed, it has become harder and harder for me to get myself out that door and into the Texas heat to take my daily trek around the neighborhood. I mean, when it is already 80 with 40% humidity at 7:30 in the morning . . . you know it is just going to get hotter!

When it was in that transitional period between winter and summer (yes, I know most people call it Spring but we don't get a true Spring here most years - it is only a week or so and I think it is a travesty to call that Spring!), I dutifully check the thermometer prior to my excursion to make sure I am dressed appropriately. However, when summer has come to stay, I know that is just going to make it more difficult for me to get out the door. I don't think anyone really wants to take a walk when it is 80 or above and is only going to keep heating up during the walk!

I try to keep my mind off of the inevitable sweating by listening to my faithful iPod. I have all kinds of things to listen to, Agatha Christie radio plays, family podcasts, word of the day podcasts, stories. Things are find and dandy and I enjoy the entertainment as well as the surrounding environment. Until the sweat starts dripping. Yes, I said dripping!

The film of sweat on my face I can ignore. The dampness under my arms and around my waistband - nothing. However, when the sweat starts dripping from my hairline onto my neck - I can't ignore that!

It is at that point that I start using my shirt as a towel. I mop the sweat off my neck and my nose with the sleeves of my shirt - probably the only dry part of the shirt left by this time. Yes, I know it isn't very ladylike but come on! Sweat dripping is just not cool!

As I walk along dripping and wiping, all I can think of is . . .

It was like this only about five months ago!

*Sigh!*

Trisha

Voice Update: My voice is excellent! Still working on those exercises - it is such fun when Hubby "e's" along with me! NOT! I am working on words starting with those unvoiced consonants (such as heave) to try to work on an alternate way to get them to sound. I concentrate on saying "eave" and then, at the last minute, tack on an "h" sound. It seems to work but it does take a while to figure out this technique! Have I mentioned how much I "LOVE" my timer?

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know but that morning walk is so great...mine starts in 30 minutes.

Anonymous said...

Well you certainly have definite seasons. I figure we are lucky to either have snow or any day over 80! Truly I enjoy both, but I doubt that I would if I had to face them every day!

Good for you for walking!

MUD said...

Get up early and do everything by noon. Eat a nice lunch, find a good fan and perhaps read a book (That's MUD speak for a nap) I am usually just soaked by the time I get in for lunch but I love the feel of a good cool shower when I'm hot. MUD

imbeingheldhostage said...

Shhhh, it was one long winter and I don't want anyone to send me hate mail, but I really like your snow shot. I love snow!

I hope you have a great, sweat-free weekend

Mental P Mama said...

Love, love, love the snow scene. Made me want to go find a sweatshirt;) You have my admiration for walking outside in that heat and humidity. I get on the treadmill instead. I'm such an exercise diva;)

Chris H said...

I prefer summer, at least you can jump in a pool to cool off... I HATE winter.. I hate being cold. We were in snow today.... ikky.

Woman in a Window said...

HA! Only five short months ago? Man, that's like yesterday.

Sweating makes me angry. Really. And that alone is not pretty.

Anonymous said...

I seem to have those sweaty times too, in Colorado - but they are called hot flashes!!!!