Saturday, March 20, 2010

My College . . . Ummm. . . University?


Hi All!
sdfg
I graduated from a nice, little liberal arts college in Ohio called Mount Union College. I know - you have never heard of it! Don't worry about it - that is part of its charm!
sdfg
The only way you could possibly know about Mount Union is if you are from Ohio or if you follow Division 3 college football - Mount is a powerhouse in that division!
sdfg
Anyway - I have REALLY fond memories of my college days. I learned a lot - both in the classroom and out of the classroom. I wouldn't trade my experiences for anything.
sdfg
As an Alumni I have always believed it is important to support my college so that other young kids could have the same wonderful experience that I did at this fine college. That belief is being shaken though because of some actions my college is taking.
dsfg
First, the college changed the reunion times for classes after a certain year (including mine) from the summer to the fall. Well, I am sure that this isn't a problem for people who actually still live in the same state but - for me. It has made coming back pretty much impossible. I am a bit bummed about that!
sdfg
Next, the college decided that being a "college" isn't good enough and is changing its name to The University of Mount Union. What? Now, I know that in many countries a college isn't higher education and a university is. However, in the United States, a college and a university are BOTH institutions of higher education. The term "university" generally refers to a larger institution with a huge enrollment while a "college" infers a smaller institution. Both are equally adept at providing a quality education but the colleges are smaller and more personalized with universities are the ones with huge classes in auditoriums with professors who can barely speak English.
dfg
What is up with my Alma mater?
sdfg
I am feeling more and more alienated from the place that I spent four years of my young-adult life.
dsfg
IF they change their name and are no longer Mount Union College - do I still have to give them money? After all, I didn't graduate from The University of Mount Union!
sdfg
Trisha
sdfg
Voice Update: I haven't talked much today yet to figure out how things are going but, I am willing to bet that I should be doing more exercises! That is always a safe bet!

1 comment:

Chris H said...

What a gorgeous looking building!
Why do you still give them money???