Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Visions of Sugarplums

Hi All!

Generally speaking, I enjoy baking and cooking but don't have the time to do it as much as I would like.  Sure, I cook dinner pretty much every night but what I really like is that holiday baking.

Sugar cookies with frosting.  Spritz cookies with colored sugar sprinkles.  Pies.

Then there is the holiday candy.  My specialty is the iconic Ohio Buckeye candy.  This is basically a ball of sweet peanut butter coated in chocolate with just a bit of the peanut butter showing to look like the Buckey nut.

Everyone LOVES my buckeyes.

They are delicious but take a lot of time to make and the end result is not only the candy but also a backache for me from all of the hand rolling of the candy.

After finishing the buckeyes there is always left-over melted chocolate to have fun with.  I coat pretzel bites, almonds, raisins, and anything else that might be handy.  I give the buckeyes away but the miscellaneous stuff I dip is all mine!

This year I have had a particularly strong urge to bake and make candy.  In fact, as I type this, I am contemplating making carmel because my Great-grandmother used to make it and it was always a wonderful treat.

True.  She made it for Easter but . . . that is just splitting hairs!

In addition to my yen to make caramels, I want to make cake balls to send to my sister-in-law and spritz cookies for my Hubby (they are his favorite!).

There is a strong possibility that a trip to the store is in my near future.

Trisha

No comments: