Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Days Seven and Eight

Hi All!

Well, Hubby and I had a fabulous time on our cruise. We went to five different islands (remember, guess three and you get a fabulous prize!) and saw many different things.

On day seven we were back in Puerto Rico where we started. Because of expensive airfare we decided to stay in Puerto Rico for one night and fly out the next day. We got off the ship quickly and got onto a tour bus for a rainforest tour of El Yunque. It was lovely but a bit "canned" since the tour was one which many other people took too. Nothing personal. Of course I took about a million pictures!

Once we finished the tour we got a ride to our hotel in Old Town with the bus driver who also gave us a tip about where to eat for lunch (I was STARVING by this time since it was about 2:00 and I ate breakfast at 7:00!). Then it was off to Old Town. Since our room wasn't ready at the hotel we stored our luggage and then went to wander around the town.

First order of business was to find the lunch spot called Mallorca. It took us a bit of doing thanks to a wrong turn but we finally found the spot and went in to try a dish called Mallorca. This is a sweet bread which is grilled and topped with powder sugar. It can be filled with cheese or cheese and ham. We got the cheese and ham variety and it was delicious!

Once we had eaten lunch we went out to walk the town and see what was what. We saw several nice shops but didn't really do any shopping - we were shopped out! Then we stopped in a Del Sol store and talked to the saleswoman about a good local place to eat dinner. She gave us a tip about a restaurant which is near the city wall.

Then we finally went to the hotel and got into our room. We cooled off and dried off (from sweat and a brief rain shower during our walk) and took a nap (we were still on vacation after all!). Next thing we knew it was time to find the restaurant for an early dinner.

We had fun looking at all of the little stalls of local art and local food which were set up along the streets. There were a lot of different people out and about due to two cruise ships being at the nearby docks.

We found our restaurant - Cafe Princess - and went into a virtual wonderland. The restaurant is outside and had two permanent pavilions for shelter. The poles of the pavilions and the nearby trees are all wound with lights and there are lovely little chandeliers hanging from the pavilion ceilings for additional light. It wasn't too brightly lit and Hubby had some problems reading the menu in the dim light!

All around the area, on the trees and the pavilion poles plants and vines were growing among the lights and there were hidden frogs "singing" in the night air. Surrounding the entire restaurant was a wrought iron fence and on the other side of the fence there was a gathering of local people who were hanging out, eating, and playing music. It made for a rather festive atmosphere.

After ordering (Hubby got a shrimp stuffed chicken dish and I got Pastelon which is like lasagna with sweet plantain instead of pasta) Hubby and I got to soak in the atmosphere and discuss what we would be doing the next day. When our food came (it was delicious even though mine was a bit unfamiliar with the sweet plantain taste) we asked the waitress about the gathering outside the fence. She told us that the people were local senior citizens who gather there every Sunday starting around noon. The just hang out talking and eating and making music until about one in the morning. Every Sunday. It was nice to hear their music and to watch them dance and socialize.

After dinner Hubby and I walked around a bit more and I bought some Chiccerones (sp??) to try. If you don't know there are fried pig skin and they are yummy! Of course, the smallest bag I could by was 1/4 of a pound and that is a LOT of chiccerones for one person to eat. So - as we were walking back to the hotel I gave some to people we passed and then gave the rest of the bag to the staff at the hotel.

It was a really nice day!

The next morning we got up and had a lovely buffet breakfast at the hotel restaurant and then packed our bags and headed to the airport for our flight.

It was a good time but now we had to go home to the "real world."

After our five hour flight we picked up our car and headed home. We met our cat sitters at the house and treated them to pizza while getting our keys back. Then it was unpacking and sleep in our own bed! Wonderful!

Today I am loading pictures onto our computer so I can show you some of our islands (and hopefully get a winner!). After that it is laundry and some relaxing while I catch up on television on the DVR.

Yesterday I had to write two papers for class and then go to class for the last time. There is one more session this semester but we are meeting at a local restaurant to celebrate actually getting through the semester! Yeah!

That is about all my tired mind can do for today!


Voice Update: Well - as you know I haven't been too faithful to my exercises and massage during the trip. I will be getting back on track and am thinking I might even see if I can schedule a visit with Susan to get loosened up again. We will see. Right now I am dealing with my sun poisoning on my neck (yes, again!) while trying to do my massage. Not too fun!


Diane said...

Welcome home! I'm glad you had a great time!

Chris H said...

No matter how lovely one's holiday is, it's always so nice to get back home to your own bed eh? lol

Mental P Mama said...

Cannot wait to see all the pictures! Welcome home, and I'm stumped. St. Thomas? Key West?