Monday, August 10, 2009

My Weekend and Phineas Gage.

Hi All!

I hope everyone had a very wonderful weekend and is ready for another great week this fine Monday! After my "stream of consciousness" post I think I can focus for a simpler post today . . . I hope.

My weekend was very nice - restful and peaceful. Hubby and I went to Sam's club on Saturday to get his contacts (much cheaper than other places he could get them). Of course we had to "shop" the entire place. We ended up with several things (a book for me "slipped" into the cart!) which we needed and even some we didn't know that we needed. You know how that goes!

Prior to our shopping we had a nice dinner at Boston Market. I tried their new crispy country chicken - it was okay but not my favorite. Their meatloaf is still at the top of my list!

It is always fun to go to Sam's. They have so many different things to look at!

Yesterday Hubby and I went grocery shopping - together! It has been a long time since we went to the grocery store together. It was nice to have help getting stuff into the car and then out of the car and into the house!

This weekend I also spent some time up in the bonus room where my sewing machine is and where the computer I use to play with my music is. I hemmed one t-shirt I got while on my cruise and put bias tape trim around the neck and sleeves. I had made the bias tape a couple of days ago and finally got it onto the shirt! Yeah! I still have a couple more shirts to hem but - one baby step at a time, right?

And then - I read a book on Phineas Gage.

Do you know the story?

Phineas Gage was a man who worked for a railroad company in the mid 1800s blasting to clear a route for new tracks. He was blasting and the black powder he was using accidentally went off and shot his tamping iron through his head. Yes, you read that correctly - through his head.

AND Phineas not only didn't die - he was walking around and talking minutes after the accident! His head healed and he seemed "fine." Except for the fact that he was a "different person" because the accident destroyed part of his frontal lobe - which controls personality.

Phineas and his accident helped advance the knowledge doctors have about the workings of the brain. It is very fascinating - and somewhat gruesome reading.

If you have never heard of dear, old Phineas, you might want to Google him - there is a lot of info on him on the web - plus some pictures which make you thankful that you don't work blasting for a railroad!

Trisha

Voice Update: Still doing pretty well. I didn't do as much exercising as I should have this weekend because my back was bothering me. Apparently, I can only take care of one thing at a time!

1 comment:

noble pig said...

Sounds like a great weekend...especially the grocery shopping!