Friday, June 6, 2008

Fancy and The Third Heiress

Hi All!

Time for another book report! I recently finished two books. The first is Fancy by Robert Krepps. This is another "golden oldie" from my grandmother's collection.

At first, I thought perhaps this book was the inspiration for Reba MacIntire's song "Fancy." While it still might be - I don't really think so . . .

This book was rather "interesting." The main character, a young girl named Fancy who is basically a "kept woman." Most of the action in the book takes place over the course of one night at a party given by a widow who - it turns out - has a "thing" for young girls and wanted to meet Fancy. Yes - the book goes THERE. Not that there is anything wrong with that. (Do you know what tv show that line is from?)

Anyway - I read the whole book. I don't know that I would recommend this book. It was "interesting" but a little confusing at the same time.

But, I am done with it!

My next book - which I finished reading last night at about 2:30 when I couldn't sleep because of nightmares - is The Third Heiress by Brenda Joyce.

I enjoyed this book. It was a mystery, suspense novel involving a woman who was "almost" engaged to an English man. The man is killed in a car crash - in which the woman, Jill, was driving - and when Jill takes his body back to England she meets his aristocratic family who lets her know in no uncertain terms that her "fiance" would have NEVER married her. She was "beneath" him, of course.

Don't you love these kinds of stories?? This is set in the late 1990's and the attitude is still there!

Anyway - Jill comes upon a mystery which might involve distant relatives of hers. She sticks around England to unravel the mystery and faces some "warnings" that would have had me running the other way really quickly!

This book I would recommend. It was a good, quick, exciting read!

Trisha

P.S. I guess I am destined to be a blog of few comments. I guess I can live with that! I do appreciate my loyal readers though! You make me feel loved!

Voice Update:
My voice is still good. Yesterday I started back into my exercises. I did a lot of inhale/exhale matching pitches while I was at the grocery store. I didn't get any strange looks but I tried to be really quiet around people. Those empty aisles though were my personal exercise studio! I also did some massage yesterday - not enough but I did some. I read out loud for about30 minutes. Doesn't that all sound like fun?


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the recommendation! I always need a good summer read!

Anonymous said...

I enjoy your book reviews - I don't read a lot - but your reviews are very articulate and are great especially for those who may be searching for something to read and need a recommendation. Perhaps you need to link those pages to a book review blog bulletin board? Does that exist?

Keep 'em coming!

Trisha said...

I have never thought about a book review blog bulletin board thing. Hmmmmm. I might need to do some searching.