Saturday, October 18, 2008

Book Bonanza

Hi all!

About a week ago (well, a week ago last Wednesday), I went to the public library in my small little town/city. Now, I haven't been to the library for a LONG, LONG time. Primarily because 1) I was working and was too busy 2) I wasn't working but was too concentrated on my SD therapy 3) the library is a separate entity without any links to other libraries so if it doesn't have a book . . . you aren't getting it, and 4) I was just too darn lazy.

So - I was at the City Hall to pay our water bill and decided to just stop into the library to see if they had any Jasper Fforde books. I really wanted to read more of his work and didn't want to go buy them (again with the lazy part).

I found three of Jasper's books and, so far, have finished two. Here they are.

Lost in a Good Book is the second in the Thursday Next series. Thursday, as you may or may not recall, was (and probably still is) the main character in Jasper Fforde's book The Eyre Affair.

I had fun reading this book as it continues with the same characters as the first book. There are also a few new additions including a Mr. Schitt-Hawse. How hilarious is that?

This time, Thursday Next finds herself the target of time altering when the Goliath Corporation has her husband, Landen, eradicated by returning to a time in his history when he was in danger of dying (when he was about 2 and was in a car accident) and then ensuring that he ISN'T rescued. Thursday is then basically blackmailed by Schitt-Hawse. If she pulls his brother (Jack Schitt) out of the book he is trapped in then Landen will be returned to life.

Sounds easy right? Oh, yeah! Lots of fun and hilarity and danger ensues as Thursday struggles to right her life with Landen.

This book is a good read. I didn't find it quite as fun as the first book but still interesting enough to recommend to you!

The library didn't have the third book in the series and I refused to check out the forth until I could also read the third so . . . .

I moved on to another series by Fforde which deals with nursery rhymes. The first book is Jack Spratt Investigates the Big Over Easy.


In this novel, Jack Spratt, an investigator in the Nursery Crimes Division faces his biggest and most complex case yet - the death of Humpty Dumpty. What at first glance seems like a clear-cut case of suicide or accidental death quickly turns into a quagmire of deceit and unexpected twists and turns.

Jack, who is a known giant killer and who gets involved in some magic beans, struggles to keep his case as his nemesis fights to steal it from him. In the course of the investigation several interesting characters are introduced and a zany house which turns on a turntable is visited.

This book is a fun and quick read. There are so many references to nursery rhymes that I found myself chuckling quite regularly. If you want a nice, light read full of fun and some suspense, check out The Big Over Easy by Jasper Fforde. It is a good book.

Trisha

Voice Update: My voice is rocking and rolling. I am doing my exercises like a good girl and have gotten my cramped neck muscles worked out. Yeah, me!

2 comments:

Grace said...

hi, blog hopping here. i enjoyed reading your post. how close are you to McKinney?

Flea said...

Oh what fun premises for books! I might make a trip to the library for one of those. Or maybe not. :) Library - owe them too much money.