Monday, April 19, 2010

Xandau, The Musical

Hi All!

According to Dictionary.Com, Xanadu is: "a place of great beauty, luxury, and contentment" or "utopia."

Well, let me just say that the musical which is named Xanadu falls "just a bit" short of that ideal!






Hubby and I went to see Xanadu as part of our season ticket package of musicals. We have both seen the movie - back in the day - and were not too impressed with it so we were hoping that the musical would be much better.

According to the reviews in our newspaper, the musical was something to look forward to, something "fresh and entertaining."

According to Hubby, "The only thing that saved it is that the lead girl could actually sing."

What does that tell you?

Personally, it tells me a couple things . . . first, Hubby is actually getting used to musicals and is reaching the point where he can critique them honestly. Second, it tells me that there wasn't a whole lot about the musical that Hubby thought was worthwhile!

Actually, there were many little funny moments during the musical. The dialogue was witty in many places. There was actually roller skating on the stage. A couple of the characters were hysterical. But . . .overall, it was just "okay."

It was interesting that some audience members sat on the stage and became unwitting participants at times. At the end of the show these people had glow sticks of different colors and got to wave them around.

The music was fun.

It was an "okay" show. I don't think I would pay to see it again but . . . it wasn't too bad.

Hubby was pleased that there was no intermission and that we got out before dinner time.

Trisha

Voice Update: My voice is doing pretty well. I am still doing the oral reading from the Bible and am finding it a pleasant way to spend an hour each day. I figure I am combining my desire to read more of the Bible and my need to exercise my voice! So far the reading and the additional effort on my part to speak more during the day seems to be doing the trick. I do have to work on saying "two" since I have some kind of mental block against that. *sigh* MORE work!

To answer Linda's comment - yes, my vocal disorder is the same one which Diane Rhem and Robert Kennedy Jr. have but, I have a different type of the disorder. Both Diane and Robert have the more common, Adductor type of Spasmodic Dysphonia where I have the rarer Abductor type.

What does that mean? Diane and Robert have the type where the muscles spasming cause the vocal cords to be slammed closed and to not open. They sound like they are being strangled from the inside because they have to struggle to get air out past the closed cords. Of course, when/if they get Botox injections, that strangling sound lessens and they sound more "normal." In my type the vocal cords are being held open which results in a breathy sounding voice.

If you would like to know more about Spasmodic Dysphonia you can check out the National Spasmodic Dysphonia Association's website where they have an explanation of what SD is as well as audio examples of people who have both types of SD.

2 comments:

Mental P Mama said...

Was it good???

Chris H said...

Shame the musical wasn't that good.